From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 1993 09:16:00 PDT
Michigan played its 21st annual Blue-White game on Friday night, with the
White defeating the Blue, 6-5.  Last season, the B-W final was 2-1 as the UM
defense was able to shut down the offense.  This season, it's uncertain if
the UM defense is capable of shutting down anyone.  :-)

Michigan's 1993-94 roster appears to be set at:

  2 Mark Sakala  D  6-0  195  Jr
  3 Alan Sinclair  D  6-3  220  Jr
  4 Chris Frescoln  D  6-3  190  Fr
  5 Peter Bourke  D  6-0  185  Fr
  6 Harold Schock  D  5-10  175  Fr
  7 Ron Sacka  C  5-10  175  Jr
  8 Drew Denzin  F/D  6-2  191  So
  9 Brendan Morrison  C  5-10  175  Fr
 10 Kevin Hilton  C  5-11  170  So
 11 Rick Willis  LW  6-0  190  Jr
 12 Mike Stone(A)  LW  6-0  185  Sr
 14 Anton Fedorov  LW  6-0  195  Jr
 15 Mike Legg  C  6-0  175  Fr
 16 Brian Wiseman(C)  C  5-6  180  Sr
 17 Ryan Sittler  LW  6-2  200  So
 18 John Madden  LW  5-11  180  Fr
 19 Jason Botterill  RW  6-3  205  Fr
 20 John Arnold  RW  5-10  192  So
 22 Mike Knuble  RW  6-3  210  Jr
 23 Tim Hogan  D  6-2  195  Jr
 24 Steven Halko  D  6-1  185  So
 26 David Oliver(A)  RW  5-11  185  Sr
 27 Blake Sloan  D  5-10  185  Fr
 28 Warren Luhning  RW  6-2  190  Fr
 30 Al Loges  G  6-2  185  Jr
 31 Steve Shields  G  6-3  210  Sr
 35 Chris Gordon  G  6-1  165  Sr

Best bet for lines is:
  1 Sittler-Wiseman-Oliver
  2 Stone-Morrison-Knuble
  3 Madden-Hilton-Botterill
  4 Willis-Sacka-Luhning
  5 Fedorov-Legg-Arnold

The defensive pairs are a big ?, but I would play them:
  1 Frescoln-Halko
  2 Sakala-Hogan
  3 Sloan-Sinclair
  4 Schock-Bourke

Of course, the goaltending is a given...Shields started 39 of 40 games last
season.

There will probably be a seven or eight man defensive rotation, with only
Halko a guarantee to dress every night.  Overall, this means 6-8 freshman
will play on any given night.  Morrison, Madden and Botterill look like they
can step right in, but again, the defense is a ?.  I'm looking/hoping for a
big physical debut from Frescoln, ala Aaron Ward in 1990-91.

Speaking of Ward, he netted his first NHL goal in Anaheim the other night.
 It was the first regular season goal scored at The Pond.

  John H
  U Mich