From:
tony BU'92'93 <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
tony BU'92'93 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Oct 1993 02:22:08 EDT
Boston University scrimmaged a team of hockey alumni tonight.

Last year's game was a close one with the present team coming
from behind to win, tonight's was not so interesting.
BU present womped on the alumni 7-2.

Interesting points of note:
Eruzione (Captain, 1980 Olympic Team) scored a goal for the
alumni and received a good response from the crowd.

Mike Pomichter scored 4 goals on pretty plays using good
stickhandling.  He only convinces me more that if he decides
to hit, he hits and nothing else, and when he decides to score,
he scores.  He never does both in the same game, and needs
to be consistent.

The present BU team scored 2 short-handed goals.

Herlofsky played the second half and shut out the alumni.

BU looks like a very deep team with many stars, no superstars,
no Amonte's, Kariya's, or Hobey contenders, but many stars
capable of beating 85% of their opponents in any individual
contests.

BU's third line will be as good as its first.

BU will have very offensive-minded defensemen.

Parker wants Grier to lose another 10+ lbs.  Grier reported in
at 238 lbs, above Parker's 220 ideal/230 mandatory (for him) and
did not play tonight.  Grier is too too slow as it is to carry
that extra weight, 9th round pick or not.

My only fear is that (sorry other HE people) BU's schedule is
a little too weak this year.  My belief is that a weak schedule
hurts a team come play-off time.  One game vs. RPI and one vs
Harvard are the only one's against legitimate top 10 teams.
We also play only ONE western team, North Dakota on opening
night (would rather it be in the middle of the season).

My prediction for BU:
1st in HE regular season
Beanpot Champs
30+ wins with ease
An early exit from the NCAA playoffs due to lack of experience
against tough teams.

This may sound bizarre to those who don't know what I am talking
about, but I say, "Go UNH, GO Lowell, and GO Maine!"
BU's best hope is that two of these three pull it together and
become serious national powers.  We need the competition.

just my humble opinion

Tony  BU'92'93
Ogre (T-minus 13 days)