From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Oct 1993 01:24:21 -0400
I think someone here asked whether Maine's Olympians might be
returning to the team after the Games, and oddly enough, I heard the
same rumor recently.  Adding fuel to the fire is the fact that on
Maine's roster released by Hockey East, Imes and both Ferraros all
appear.

The Maine roster also has more players than I have ever seen on a
college roster.  A total of 41 players are listed!  There's barely
enough room to fit the roster on one page.  21 are freshmen.  Does
Maine have a JV team?  They sure seem to have enough players to stock
two teams - maybe they should try fielding a second team in HE. :-)
There are two players listed as wearing high numbers - Reg Cardinal
#85, and Craig Gwinn #93.

What I'm wondering is, if the Olympians do return, what kind of effect
will it have on the team?  Olympians have come back to play after the
Games before and it's worked out well (even Eric Weinrich to Maine in
1988), but Maine is in a situation where they will need to use this
season to both find out who's going to do the job in the future and
get some experience for the younger players.  I can see it being
difficult for some of the young players if they play most of the
season and then get bumped down the stretch if Imes & the Ferraros
return.  It could help in the short run, i.e. a run at another HE
title and maybe even a repeat of the nat'l title, but I don't think
anyone can predict what the long-term effects will be.  It will be
interesting...
---
Mike Machnik            [log in to unmask]        [log in to unmask]
Color Voice of the Merrimack Warriors                  *HMN*  11/13/93
(All opinions expressed above are strictly those of the poster.)