Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 1993 16:12:10 EDT
First a few questions, then, some opinions:

1 - I was under the understanding, based on what I was
told two years ago, that Ingraham has no more eligibility
because he chose not to sit out the year before
transferring.  If someone could correct me on this, I
would appreciate it.  People in Maine, is he on the
official roster?

2 - I had assumed (no basis but my own thinking) that
Kariya could return to Maine after the Olympics in time
for the playoffs (like Dunham did last time).  I thought
he would just take a long leave of absence and then
return.  Anyone know for sure?

OPINIONS - First of all, I would like to premise this
by saying that this in no way is meant as a personal
slap or showing of disrespect for any of the teams
mentioned.
When one looks at how many people Maine lost, and I am
talking about top-notch, all-american, olympic-calibre
players, it is amazing that Maine is being picked
fourth in the league.  Remember, there are EIGHT TEAMS!
I, personally, do pick them fourth, not as a slight to
Maine in favor of Lowell, UNH, or Boston University,
but as a statement of how good I think Maine's
collection of red-shirts and true freshmen are.  Most
importantly, I feel that Walsh is that good that he
will be able to put the team together to be competitive.
If Walsh takes this team to a fourth place finish, do
NOT critisize him or feel that they did mediocre.  Any
<ignore "any">  Walsh's ability will truly be tested
this year as the toughest part of any coaching job is
to make a young team consistent.  I am just afraid that
the more people harp on this, the higher Maine will be
rated.  It would be extremely unfair to those freshmen
at Maine to put THAT kind of pressure on them.

To help picture the impact of what I am trying to say,
take Ohio State in your mind (sorry Ohio).  They are
picked last, below Notre Dame.  Now add Dunham, Snow,
Montgomery, Chris Ferraro, Peter Ferraro, Chris Imes,
Eric Fenton, Dave LaCourure, Kent Salfi, Martin Mercier,
and a few others who are gone from Maine.  You may even
throw in Kariya for apx 10 games (what he will miss at
Maine this year).  Where would this put Ohio State now.
This is how much talent Maine has lost.

From another view point, I am sure that if anyone on
this list were from Providence, having a Maine team
that lost that much picked OVER them would be a major
slight.  I would make that pick, but mostly because
I like what I saw of Maine's new players when they
played high school.

Just my brief humble opinion.

Tony  BU'92'93
Ogre (T minus 19 days)

PS - Thank you for listening to my opinions on the
   subject.