From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 1993 18:20:32 -0400
I agree that it's frustrating to see players leaving early, but I can
understand why it happens.  Even if you're going to start out in the
minors, there's still that chance of getting called up and earning a
job with the big club, and that's got a lot to do with why players go
early.  Something could happen (injuries) and they might not get that
chance again, while you can always finish your degree.  That's why I
have a lot of respect for those players who work to get their degree
in the off-season after turning pro, and there are a lot of them.

Basically, a player has to do what's best for him, and I can't fault
anyone for that.  I don't think we'll see this situation change much
in the future.  The NHL probably won't change the way it drafts
significantly in the future (except for what may happen with the new
CBA), meaning players will still always have that option to either
turn pro or go to college.  And the NC$$ has recognized this, as
they're allowing players to negotiate contracts but still return to
school if no deal is signed.

If anything, it is most frustrating for the coaches.  They recruit
players with the hope that they'll be around for all four years, but
there's no guarantee.  Sometimes you sign a player knowing full well
that he won't be around more than a year or two.  Good examples of
this are the Ferraros, Kariya, Amonte, and Leetch.  Probably the most
difficult thing is when the coach doesn't know until late summer
whether the player will return, because if he goes, that scholarship
is suddenly available but it's usually too late to offer it to someone
else.
---
Mike Machnik            [log in to unmask]        [log in to unmask]
Color Voice of the Merrimack Warriors                  *HMN*  11/13/93
(All opinions expressed above are strictly those of the poster.)