From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Sep 1993 22:18:37 -0400
Sid writes:
>Hockey East has narrowed its choice of a new commissioner to three finalists,
>the Herald has learned. The finalists are NC$$ coordinator of officials
>Charles Holden of Melrose, Mass., Northeastern University assistant athletic
>director David Frazier of Danvers, Mass., and Howard Cornfield of
>Jacksonville University.

I don't know anything of the latter two, and I only know of Holden
from seeing him speak several times on the rules and interpretations.
His knowledge in that area would certainly make him a good candidate,
but I don't intend to slight the other two since I don't know anything
about them.

(Sid's thoughts)
>I'm very surprised to *not* see Noni Daly's name on this list. As I'm sure
>many of you know, Noni is the assistant commissioner of HE and has basically
>been responsible for the overall operation of the league for at least the
>last season. She and Haskell split administrative duties...

I'm also surprised that Nonni is not a candidate, and I can only guess
whether she was perhaps not interested in taking over as the full-time
commish.  She has obviously been happy working the P.R. side of things
and, IMO, has done a superb job...one of the concerns I had with her
possibly taking over as commish was that it would force her to cut
back on what she's doing now, and I don't know whether they could have
gotten someone to fill her shoes.  Despite having the title of asst.
commish as compared to Haskell being commish, Nonni has had at least as
important a job and seems to have helped the league move forward in the
area of P.R.

On the apparently slow timetable, HE has not been quick in the past to
move to replace commissioners.  If necessary, they'd rather appoint an
interim while working to make sure they get the best person for the
job in the long run.  It's hard to argue with HE's track record - both
Lou Lamoriello and Stu Haskell did a great job in their tenures and
Stu's shoes will be difficult to fill.
---
Mike Machnik            [log in to unmask]        [log in to unmask]
Color Voice of the Merrimack Warriors                  *HMN*  11/13/93
(All opinions expressed above are strictly those of the poster.)