From:
Patrick E Fleming <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Patrick E Fleming <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 1993 09:22:00 EDT
Today's Lantern, the Ohio State student newspaper, reports the possibility that
Ohio State will play two games at the Fairgrounds Coliseum.  The deal has not
been finalized yet (and I won't believe it until it is.)  The idea is to
demostrate the revenue capacity of hockey at Ohio State.  The proposed dates
are in November and January and both dates involve games against Notre Dame.

I personally am for it since the larger venue means more space between my head
and the ice surface - significantly reducing the possibility of getting struck
by objects leaving the ice surface.  Of course, as former Notre Dame head Coach
Lefty Smith used to muse, "Once in a while you have to take on in the head for
the love of the game."  And as Ric Schafer reminded me, "Take enough in the
head and you can get to be the coach!"

The Coliseum is currently the home of the Columbus Chill of the East Coast
Hockey Leauge.  Last season, the Chill's second, the team almost had its
franchise revoked due to insufficient home dates available.  This situation was
caused by overbooking the Coliseum.  What is really braindamaged about the
whole affair is that in their inagural season, the Chill sold some 95% of the
seats in the building and despite playing in a relatively small venue (about
5400 seats) finished in the top fifteen in minor league hockey attendance.  You
would think they could work it out for such a successful tenant . . .  Of
course now the former Fair Manager, Billy Inmon, is running for Govenor.

     - Pat

- Dadgummit Blah! ---------------- He'll join our band then we'll understand -
- Department of Chemistry -------------------------- Why God don't own a car -