From:
Christopher Lerch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 1993 13:02:08 PDT
Mike writes:

>Well, this could not be the case because women's hockey is not
>sanctioned by the NC$$ and thus does not fall under its regulations,
>whether it is varsity or not.  The divisions that exist in women's
>hockey are there primarily within the ECAC itself.

Through last year, the ECAC had two women's divisions, a
D-I division consisting of 9 teams (Brown,
Cornell, Dartmouth,Harvard, New Hampshire, Northeastern,
Princeton, Providence, Yale) and a D-III division consisting of
6 teams (Bowdoin, Colby, Middlebury, RIT, St. Lawrence, Wesleyan).
Each division had its own tournament, although there was plenty
of cross-play between the D-I and D-III teams.

Starting with the 1993-94 season, the ECAC will have just one
women's conference. It will be comprised of the 9 D-I teams
and 3 of the 6 D-III teams (Colby, RIT, and  St. Lawrence).

The top 8 teams will make the ECAC Tournament. The D-III
Tournament has been eliminated as half of the former D-III
teams are now participating in the new conference. The 3
remaining D-III teams (Bowdoin, Middlebury, Wesleyan) will be
considered independents.

Chris Lerch
Xerox
RIT '84 & '91