From:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 1993 16:26:57 -0500
Mark writes:

>Brian writes:
>>Being an Easterner I have great difficulty understanding why there only seems
>>to be three sites available in the West: Joe Louis, St. Paul and sometimes
>>Bradley.  Isn't there another possible venue which has a couple of BIG arenas-
   -
>>Chicago?  Or are the selections the result of these three sites being the only
>>ones which ever bid for hockey.  (Any insights Mark?)
>
>        Good question.  I don't know the answer.  Chicago seems like a
>        good venue: big city, local host school(Ill-Chicago), strong
>        interest in hockey(at least on the pro level).  But what arena
>        could be used?  It seems like the Chicago Stadium schedule is
>        quite full with both the Hawks and the Bulls as tenants.
>
>        Other western sites for the NCAA hockey "semifinals and finals"
>        might include:  Denver, Columbus, and Cleveland with host schools
>        DU, Ohio State, and Kent.  Do any of these cities have large arenas
>        suited for hockey?

Denver, Columbus and Cleveland share one very important drawback;  they are
not at all centrally located.  I doubt many people would be willing to drive
from Minnesota, much less Michigan, to Denver on a week's notice in March.
Maybe some of the CCHA people would be willing to drive to the Ohio cities,
but it is my impression (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong!)
that the Ohio schools (OSU, at least) don't get particularly tremendous
crowds, anyway, unlike the other potential host schools (Minnesota, Wisconsin,
Michigan/Michigan State).

Pam Sweeney
Go Gophers!!!
1993 WCHA Playoff Champions!!!