From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 1993 12:04:34 EDT
Dave writes (in part) ...
>        Now for a couple of questions.  First of all, about that crossbar
>shot in the final minute ... I've played my tape over and over again, and
>it still looks to me as if the puck went in.  It disappeared behind the
>crossbar, or seemed to ....

   I thought it went in when I first saw the play, but thought the
   slow-motion replay conclusive in showing it hit the cross-bar.  Garth
   Snow talked about praying about the time he "heard it hit the post",
   adding to the likely-hood of it being nearly in the goal ...  but not
   quite.

> Second question: Tom Mees alluded to the "fact" that many Division I
>coaches around the country "don't like Shawn Walsh," to which Bob Norton
>replied that "A lot of that is jealousy."  Is Mees's comment factual?  If so,
>why is it that folks don't like Shawn?  He seems perfectly reasonable in
>interviews -- perhaps a little cocky.  Do the players like him?  They
>certainly seem to put out for him in the games.

   I think players respect him for his honesty, hard work, drive,
   ability and knowledge.  Perhaps all the hoop-la of the NCAA tourney
   didn't show it, but during his 9 years at Maine, Shawn Walsh has
   taken care of his players first.  For example, while some coaches in
   Division I seem to be against players going away to Select and Junior
   and Olympic teams during the season, Walsh works *for* their
   opportunities.

   When it appeared that Justin Tomberland might play a minor role for
   the hockey team during "spring break", he worked with the baseball
   coach resulting in Justin playing baseball on Maine's Texas/Florida
   baseball trip (Justin was called back in the middle of that trip, due
   to a hockey player injury ...  and scored an important goal the day
   after hitting a home run for the baseball bears).

   Perhaps what impressed me this year as much as anything was the
   "team."  There could have been a bunch of hot-shot brats and some
   others, but it was NOT that way.  They were a focused team, first and
   last.  That can be attributed to the players, or captains, or
   assistants, but I attribute it to Shawn Walsh.

   You can't be a lazy player and like Shawn Walsh;  you can't just show
   up at practices and like Shawn Walsh, for he won't stand for it.  But
   he'll surround you with the opportunity to succeed on the ice, in the
   classroom, and in dealing with the public.

   A couple of weeks ago, Jean-Yves Roy had three days off (from his
   difficult first year in minor league pros) and chose to come back to
   Maine, skate with the team, and chat with his former coaches, players
   and friends.  Each year we get many former players back for our "May
   Term" and "Summer Session", with some helping at local clinics, and
   most taking classes.

   Draw what conclusions you will, but we've a lot of Shawn Walsh fans
   in this neck of the woods!  I think most of the players are in that
   camp, too.

cheers,

Wayne (yea, I get to go to the All-Star game this weekend!) Smith
The College Hockey Discussion List administrator
Systems Group - CAPS              BITNET/CREN:  wts@maine
University of Maine System        internet:     [log in to unmask]