From:
Keith Instone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Keith Instone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 1993 17:35:23 EST
Jeremy says:
>Boy, I bet Ohio State loves this arrangement....

What do they care? Although Ohio State may be a "Big Ten" school, they certainly
do not support their hockey program in a "Big Ten" way. Their rink is a dump,
their teams have been consistently at/near last place in the CCHA, and they have
no fan support. In a nutshell, they do not care about hockey at OSU.

>Anyone know why Ohio State wasn't included?  It would seem to make more sense
>if they rotated the teams every year...

Hah! Why kick out MSU or Michigan for a year just to let OSU in? Why lose all that
revenue? How many fans would OSU draw in the state of Michigan? Zero. How many fans
would OSU draw in Minnesota or Wisconsin? -500! ("Why go to see UW beat OSU? I want
to see a good game.") Would you like to hold this tournament in Columbus?? Egads.

This "Big Ten Tournament" features 4 of the best hockey programs in the west. It
should be awesome! If Bowling Green is idle or on a long road trip that weekend,
I will certainly be there when it is in Detroit. Why ruin it on the technicality
that OSU is also in the Big Ten in football and basketball and swimming and fencing?

Call it the "Big-Ten-committed-to-hockey Tournament" if you must, but keep the
Buckeyes out of it.

Keith