From:
Tony Hejna <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tony Hejna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 1993 12:32:34 EST
--------

Expansion of the tournament only allows for more marginal teams to get in
the dance.

Consider even further the Top 10 ratings in Hockey -- If I generously assume
that the number of Div. I hockey schools is 50, being rated in the Top 10 only
means your team is in the top 20 percent.   In basketball, they have
a top 25, but approximately 300 teams compete.  This means your team is in
the top 8 percent -- or twice as good as a relative team in hockey.

Using a similar argument, 24% of hockey teams make the tournament, while
only 21% of basketball.

So let's not try and dilute the importance of this tournament by letting
in 4 more also-rans!

Tony