From:
Greg Berge <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 1993 10:01:20 -0500
John argues against a 16 team NCAA (in part) as follows:

> An expanded brackett only puts less importance on
the regular season.
> the conference quarterfinals would become the big
games.

I disagree. The regular season would become THE gatekeeping mechanism for the
NCAAs. If the 4 and 5 seeds were so close that the QF between them would be
meaningful, then they would probably both go, or neither go. (There's no assumption
that 4 teams from each conference would go every season.)

My eastern teams under a 16 system for '93: the current 5 plus RPI. (I don't think Yale
would have made it anyway.) That leaves 10 western seeds - I don't know enough
about the west to judge.

Anyway, nothing will change until the NCAA expands its basketball tourny.

Greg
Somerville
Let's Go Red!