From:
Jim Teresco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Teresco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 1993 13:12:55 EST
Here are the box scores and some comments about Union's games at
Princeton and Yale this weekend.  I wasn't at either game, so I'm
going by the radio and newspapers.
Friday, March 5, 1993
Baker Rink, Princeton, NJ
ECAC League Game

Union      0 1 0 - 1
Princeton  0 2 1 - 3

Scoring:
1st Period: none

2nd Period:
1) Princeton, Bigelow 7 (Morris, Zilinskas) 0:18
2) Princeton, Morris 13 (Zilinskas) 9:54 (sh)
3) Union, Chris Albert 9 (Alaspa, Kevin Darby) 15:26

3rd Period:
4) Princeton, Morris 14 (Zilinskas, Colquhoun) 5:37

Shots on goal: Union 6-17-13--36, Princeton 9-9-12--30.

Power Play Opportunities: Union 0 of 8, Princeton 0 of 6.

Goalies: Union, Luigi Villa, 3-12-0, (30 shots, 27 saves)
         Princeton, Fiander, 4-8-1 (36 shots, 35 saves)

Attendance: 1519

Princeton goalie Craig Fiander made 35 saves to lead Princeton past
Union, 3-1.  Union outshot Princeton 36-30, only the second time all
season that they have outshot an opponent.  The big controversy in the
game was a Union goal that was disallowed.  Chris Albert broke in on
Fiander and seemed to get the puck past him.  The goal light went on,
but all of the officials were out of position and none of them saw the
puck go over the line.  The Union broadcasters and the Gazette's Ken
Schott said that the puck clearly crossed the line from their view in
the press box.  The goal would have pulled the Dutchmen within 1 with
over 9 minutes left.  Unfortunately, it didn't count, and Princeton held
on for a 3-1 win.
--
Saturday, March 6, 1993.
Ingalls Rink, New Haven, CT

Union  0 2 1 - 3
Yale   1 2 2 - 5

Scoring:
1st Period:
1) Yale, Leroux 25 (Allen, Kaufmann) 7:34 (pp)

2nd Period:
2) Union, Chris Albert 8 (Holunga, Kevin Darby) 4:26 (pp)
3) Yale, Kaufmann 23 (Maltby, Allen) 5:46 (pp)
4) Union, Albert 9 (Alaspa, Boyd) 9:51
5) Yale, Kaufmann 24 (Weidenbach, Lavish) 14:52 (pp)

3rd Period:
6) Union, Reid Simonton 9 (Alaspa) 0:42
7) Yale, Maltby 17 (Leroux, Kaufmann) 17:03 (pp)
8) Yale, Weidenbach 12, 18:42

Shots on goal: Union 8-13-9--30, Yale 13-9-11--33.

Goalies: Union, Villa, 3-13-0 (33 shots, 28 saves)
         Yale, Sullivan, 10-9-1 (30 shots, 27 saves)

Power Play Opportunities: Union 1 of 11, Yale 4 of 8.

Attendance: 2626

Yale broke a 3-3 tie with under 3 minutes left in the 3rd period, and
went on to beat Union, 5-3, in the final regular season game for both
teams.  The key to the game was special teams.  While Union was just 1
for 11 on the power play, Yale was 4 for 8.  Union also failed to
convert on two 5-on-3 advantages.

The star of the game for the Bulldogs was Mark Kaufmann, who had 4
points on the night to capture the ECAC scoring title.  Union's first
line continued it's late-season productivity, with 2 goals from Chris
Albert and 2 assists from Ryan Alaspa.  When asked what made the
difference in the game, Coach Delventhal said "They had Kaufmann out
there and we didn't.  We're trying to recruit a Kaufmann."

The losses this weekend give Union a 3-19 league record and 3-22
overall record for the season.  The Dutchmen went 0-13 on the road
this season.  The 22 losses breaks last year's school record of 21,
when the Dutchmen finished 2-19-1 in the league and 3-21-1 overall.
They did finish the season on a pretty good note, though, with last
weekend's win over Cornell and 2 close games this weekend.

The radio broadcast featured an interview with Shayne White, a Union
goalie (and Computer Science major) who graduated last year.  But the
big moment seemed to be an appearance by ESPN's Chris Berman in the
press box during the second intermission.

I'm looking forward to the ECAC playoffs and the NCAA's (hoping Union
can in the playoffs themselves next season).  I think the top 4 or 5
teams in the ECAC can play with anyone, and I hope a few of them make
it to Milwaukee.  But for now, on to other things - baseball season!

--
Jim Teresco, Union College C.S. Department Graduate Assistant
Dept. of Computer Science, Union College, Schenectady, NY 12038