From:
Jon Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 1993 12:42:06 EST
John wrote:

> CCHA commish Bill Beagan will call Miami coach George Gwozdecky (sp?)
> and ask him if he prefers Ohio State or UAF in the first round.  If
> Gwozdecky chooses OSU, Beagan will call Michigan coach Red Berenson
> and ask him if he prefers Notre Dame or UAF, etc.  This will go on
> until someone chooses UAF or Ferris State (6th place) gets stuck with
> them.
>
> Is this a fair system or does it seem bass ackwards?  It seems to me
> that Beagan just didn't have the balls to reach a decision, although
> that's merely speculation because I have no information as to what
> went into the decision making process.

I've never liked the "associate member" concept, and this might be the best reason yet.  This plan seems perfectly fair.  However, as if the underdog didn't have enough reasons to get up for the game - now their coach will tell them that they were "chosen" as an opponent....that the other team doesn't respect them....that they are expected to rollover...etc.  The pressure is on the home team.  I can see it now, "It's the coach's fault - he should have drafted UAF."

--
Jon Greene
Data General Corp., Westboro, MA