Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 1993 15:55:06 EST
Larry Latour has thrown out a radical proposal.

>2. In the Maine-BU second game Saturday (Maine 6 BU 1) there were an
>awful lot of matching minors being called... seems like a waste of time
>to me... A BRILLIANT, RADICAL IDEA! How about a penalty limit ala
>foul limit in basketball... you go over the limit per period (3? 4?)
>and you get another minute tacked on... players MIGHT be less
>likely to get sucked into "mini-scuffles" and refs MIGHT pay more
>attention to true fouls... of course I MIGHT be wrong, but...

This could open up a whole new game.  You could modify the penalty for a
malfeasance committed "in the act of shooting" a la the NBA.  Presumably the
shooter who got mugged would then receive an automatic penalty shot.  This
would create an incentive to avoid penalties in the last two minutes.But
then we set up a parade of shooters to the blue line, kind of like the parade
of foul shooters at the end of a basketball game.  And then all games are
decided in the last minute, or even last tenths of a second, just like
basketball.  Uuugghh!  Just what we need.  More basketball.

But on a more serious level, most of us on the list seem to share an aversion
to violence in hockey, at least the "went to a fight and a hockey game broke
out" kind the Philadelphia Flyers made famous.  Larry has raised an interesting
question though--how do you cut down on the extracurricular stuff without
altering the flow of the game?  It seems to me that any kind of radical
proposal would suffer one major drawback: the inherent inconsistency of
referees.  Unless you want to go to instant replay (DOA at the collegiate
level) I would imagine your pretty much stuck with the way things are.

But it's always fun to tinker.
                    _
            "NYS   // Hockey"Colgate-playoff bound
                  //   Brian MorrisRPI- home ice bound