From:
Charlie Slavin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charlie Slavin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 1993 14:19:03 EST
Karen writes:

>programs as a whole, not team by team.  Also, to even suggest as the lawyers
>for the Colgate women have that they are not treated equally because only
>32% of Colgate athletes are women while they account for 47% of the student
>body is ridiculous.  This says that 68% of the women at Colgate participate
>in athletics which I would guess is not that unusual a percentage for women
>at any college.  See The Chronicle of Higher Education for more details; it
>can be found probably in any major academic department.

Whoa...that's not quite right.   If there were (I don't have the
foggiest) 10,000 students at colgate and 100 varsity athletes.
Then with these numbers, there would be 4700 women and 32 woman
athletes, hardly 68% of the women participating in athletics.

One needs to be careful with numbers.

Personally, for me, these are precisely the number that need to
be considered.  If 47% of the student body is female, then women
should get 47% of the athletic budget - not counting earmarked
external contributions perhaps.  But then again, I've always been
a bit extreme.

Charlie