From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 91 11:43:50 EST
Jeremy writes:
>WHY did they set it up so that an independent must get a bid?  If you ask
>me (and you didn't, but hey, it's a public newsgroup), this makes all the
>independents into a conference, of sorts!  Isn't that the whole point of
>being independent?  So an independent team must try to outplay all the
>other independents to get the bid (although didn't both of the Alaska
>teams get a bid one  year?).  Doesn't really make much sense.

    No independent made the Div I tourney until 1988, the first year that
    the required bid was in place.  Prior to 1988, eight teams made the
    tourney, and in order to get enough support to increase the teams to
    12, it was agreed that one of the teams would be an independent.  The
    independents had long argued that they weren't getting a fair shake
    when it came to selecting teams and that there was a bias towards
    conference teams.

    There were also quite a few more teams that qualified as Div I Independents
    than there are now.  When the Div II tourney was abolished beginning
    in 1984-85, teams that were formerly in Div II had to declare themselves
    to be eligible for either the Div I or Div III tourney.  Most teams,
    like RIT, Union, Babson, etc. dropped down to III.  The Alaskas,
    Merrimack, UConn, Holy Cross, and several others moved up to Div I.
    UConn, Canisius, Holy Cross, etc. played very few games against Div I
    teams and never were serious contenders to make the tourney.  There was
    no requirement, as I believe there is now, that a team that declares itself
    eligible for the Div I tourney must play at least 20 Div I games.

    St Cloud was rapidly upgrading the quality of its program in preparation
    to enter the WCHA, the Alaskas were playing better and better competition,
    Merrimack was getting better - in essence, these programs came closer to
    being able to compete with Div I schools than they had been before.

    So Merrimack got the first independent bid in 1988 when they went 34-6,
    much to the chagrin of people who thought their team should have made it.
    Even I didn't think MC deserved to go (I was at Northeastern at the
    time).  And because of the way the seeding worked out, Merrimack was
    seeded 6 West and got sent to play at 3 East - Northeastern, Hockey East
    champion.  Merrimack bounced back from an 8-3 total goals deficit late
    in the second period of the last game to score the final seven goals and
    win the series (groan).  That got them a trip to the Soo to face CCHA
    regular season champ Lake Superior (33-7-6), where Coach Frank Anzalone
    took special care to explain to Merrimack head man Ron Anderson just which
    route his club was planning to take to get to Lake Placid, site of the
    Final Four.  Well, Merrimack shocked the Lakers 4-3 the first night, but
    a combination of LSSU buckling down and a broken leg to Merrimack star
    Richard Pion produced a 5-0 Laker win that sent them on their way to the
    NCAA Championship.  The result was a vindication of Merrimack and the
    independents (and Northeastern, with LSSU's loss), although neither of the
    next two independents (St Cloud and Alaska-Anchorage) had anywhere near
    the success Merrimack had - both, ironically, played at Lake Superior in
    the first round and lost in two games.

    I still believe that the independents should be lumped together with the
    rest of Division I after the four automatic bids are awarded, and the
    very best eight teams should then be selected.  But NCAA politics dictates
    that this is unrealistic.  As it stands, there will very likely be one
    deserving team that will be left home this year so that an independent
    can go (probably Anchorage again, although anything can happen).

>Also, about the Hockey East: FOUR teams?  At the expense of whom?  The ECAC
>again?!!!

    Well, I agree that four teams should not go from Hockey East, but not
    necessarily because the ECAC would be slighted.  There are at least six
    teams from the West that look very strong right now, and Anchorage would
    make seven.  BTW, I believe that if it is determined that, for example,
    three HE teams (in addition to the automatic bid) are ranked in the seven
    remaining bids, then HE *should* get four teams (the same holds for any
    other conference).  But this is not likely to happen for the very
    reason you hint at - the conference that gets slighted will make a big
    fuss about it.  As far as I am concerned, the national tournament is for
    the best 12 teams in the country (although the way it is set up, it is
    almost guaranteed that this won't happen), NOT to placate the four
    conferences.  Let me be blunt:  if there is a year that only one ECAC
    team is clearly among the top 12 teams in the country, then I think that
    only that team should go from the ECAC.  But I don't think that this
    is a year like that.

    BTW, these are the top 12 teams in Keith's TCHCR:

>  1    1  Lake Superior         20  3  3   100.00    62.06     10
>  2    5  Boston College        16  5  0    90.86    62.88      8
>  3    2  Northern Michigan     18  5  3    87.63    57.93     16
>  4    6  Minnesota             19  3  3    87.24    52.75     25
>  5    3  Michigan              18  5  3    87.22    60.17     14
>  6    9  Providence            13  4  1    85.70    56.15     20
>  7    7  Wisconsin             18  5  2    85.08    56.95     19
>  8    8  Boston University     14  5  2    83.16    57.22     18
>  9    4  Maine                 18  5  2    82.54    53.72     24
> 10   10  Ferris State          16  5  5    74.38    52.11     26
> 11   11  Clarkson              12  5  1    74.27    52.11     27
> 12   13  New Hampshire         15  6  1    68.49    45.88     36

    Only one ECAC team is in there (Cornell is 13).  Of course, there are
    many, many other factors that the committee uses in deciding the
    teams that they will pick (much more than Keith includes in his
    rating), but as an example, I believe strongly that if it was
    determined that these were the top 12 teams in the country, then these
    12 teams should go.  When the other factors are considered, it is likely
    that a different 12 would result - so while we can use Keith's rating
    as another interesting way to compare teams, we can't rely too strongly
    on it (just like the polls).  So the fact that someone's team may be
    ranked, say, 10th either here or in a poll doesn't mean that they
    should go to the tournament.

    This got a lot longer than I had intended...

    - mike