Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1993 11:12:01 EST

> Wayne sent me this email (and said i could respond to the list):
>
> >>last time I checked, everybody in the band was a fan of their hockey team.
> >>Everybody in the band cheers for their team and hopes they do well.
> >>Everybody in the band pays $5 or whatever, when they go to a road game.
>
> >No way.  The majority of band members of every band I've known play for
> >the sake of playing and their band, not for the game.  Sure, they'll be
> >a few hockey fans in any typical band (whatever that is), but the band
> >isn't there for the hockey game, but for a chance to perform.
>
> >At Maine, the Pepbands not only get in free, but are paid.  Local High
> >Schools that have the band play at sporting events, have school spirit,
> >but aren't there for the game itself.

I don't believe that characterization is fair at all.  I wasn't a member fo the RPI pep band, but I knew a fair number of them and the overwhelming majority were staunch hockey fans.  Non-fans do not get on busses, ride for hours, often return the same night, generally pay their own way and then play in front of crowds that are less than hospitable audiences.  I'm sorry if Maine hasn't been able to engender that kind of devotion among its band members...but please do not assume that it is universal.

Jon