From:
Jim Teresco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Teresco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 1993 16:27:13 EST
Starr Rink, Hamilton, NY
Saturday, January 24, 1993.
ECAC League Game

Union    0 1 0 - 1
Colgate  2 0 0 - 2

Scoring:
1st Period:
1) Colgate, Wilde 6 (Gibson) 10:14
2) Colgate, Gardinder 10 (Gibson, Wilde) 14:56 (sh)

2nd Period:
3) Union, Jeff Jiampetti 2 (MacLellan) 18:53 (pp)

3rd Period:
none.

Shots on goal: Union 9-8-11--28, Colgate 10-8-8--26.

Power Play Opportunites: Union 1 of 8, Colgate 0 of 5.

Goalies: Union, Mike Gallant, 0-5-0, (26 shots, 24 saves).
         Colgate, Murray, 4-6-1, (28 shots, 27 saves).

Attendance: 2017

Colgate goalie Shawn Murray stopped 27 of 28 shots to lead Colgate
past Union, 2-1, at Starr Rink Saturday night.  Colgate scored twice
in the first period and held off Union to put the Dutchmen all alone
in last place in the ECAC.

Union goalie Mike Gallant played another good game, but the first
Colgate goal was one that he usually would stop.  Brent Wilde's goal
midway through the first period trickled past Gallant for a 1-0
Colgate lead.  There wasn't much Gallant could do on the 2nd Colgate
goal, which came with Union on the power play.  Dan Gibson and Bruce
Gardinier came in 2-on-1 to give the Red Raiders a 2-0 lead.

Colgate had 2 power plays early in the 2nd, both the result of too
many men on the ice calls against the Dutchmen.  Union had plenty of
chances of their own during the 2nd period, including 3 power plays.
Jeff Jiampetti finally got Union on the board with a power play goal
at 18:53.

The teams skated through a pretty well-played but scoreless third
period.  Both teams had some opportunities, but the goalies came up
with the saves, and the game ended at 2-1.

Union had plenty of chances to score, but they continue to have
problems finishing their plays.  They get a play set up the way they
want, and either take too long and the play gets broken up, or the
shots end up being weak or wide of the net.  Union was just 1 for 8
on the power play and gave up a shorthanded goal, while Colgate went
0 for 5.

Colgate takes over 11th place in the ECAC with a 3-8 record (5-11-3
overall) and Union is alone in last at 2-10, 2-13.  This weekend's
losses make Union's playoff chances much less likely.  It's not
impossible, but they will have to pass 2 teams in the standings to
get into playoff position.  Union will return to action this Friday
night to host 3rd place RPI.  Look for the season's first sellout at
Achilles for that one.

Road Trip:

Even though the weather forecast kept us away from Lynah on Friday
night, we were able to make the trip to Colgate for this one.  Starr
Rink is a modern looking rink, part of a large athetic complex on the
Colgate campus.  I guessed that it would seat about 2000, but the
attendance was reported at 2017 and it definitely was not full.  All
of the seats are close to the ice, but lower than I like.  When we
got there (40 minutes before game time) it was pretty much empty.  We
took seats behind the Colgate bench.  By the start of the game we
found ourselves in the middle of the student section and very close
to the band.  We decided to keep pretty quiet, being the only 2 Union
fans in the section.  (It's very hard NOT to stand up for a Union
goal...unfortunately I only had to stop myself once..)

The fans were pretty quiet for the most part.  There were 2 people who
led all the cheers/chants.  The band seemed to take turns with tapes
played over the PA system.  It was nice to be able to actually hear
what is coming over the PA.  (Achilles is definitle due for a new
sound system.)  The band was small, but made quite a bit of noise.
I'm still not sure what I think of the "Good ol' hockey game" song
they played before each period..  I enjoyed listening to some of the
conversations in the crowd (Where is Union? This is a non-league game.
They're a Canadian school, right?).  I didn't get any comments about
my Union Hockey hat (unlike at RPI and Cornell) except the girl
sitting next to me who said that I probably sat in the wrong section.
But anyway, it was well worth the trip.  I can't say I enjoyed it as
much as last year's trip to Cornell, but the score was a little
different at that one...

--
Jim Teresco, Union College C.S. Department Graduate Assistant
Dept. of Computer Science, Union College, Schenectady, NY 12038