From:
The Hockey Hamlet <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Hockey Hamlet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jan 1993 21:29:01 EST
        1       2       3
Yale    3       2       0--5
AF      2       1       1--4

First period
1) 1 AF Kriz (Ingraham, Billerica native Mark Degironimo), 2:58. PPG
2) 1 Yale Weidenbach (Maltby), 6:47.
3) 2 Yale Allen (Leroux, Kaufmann), 8:21. PPG
4) 3 Yale Kaufmann (Lavish), 14:47.
5) 2 AF Rice (Ingraham), 18:09. 5-3 PPG.
        Penalties
2:04 Yale Mackey (roughing); 5:59 AF Tuomi, Yale Nyberg (hitting after the
whistle); 7:50 AF Ingraham (holding); 10:00 AF Courtney (cross-checking);
10:32 Yale Duffy (hitting after); 15:48 AF Retka (tripping); 16:14 Yale
Lavish (slashing); 16:44 Yale Emmons (hooking)

Second period
6) 4 Yale Weidenbach (Kozic, Allen), 2:53.
7) 3 AF Rice (Veneri, Retka), 15:42. PPG
8) 5 Yale Lavish (unassisted), 16:19. SHG
        Penalities
9:26 AF Courtney, Yale Lombardi (roughing); 11:51 Yale Emmons (holding);
14:36 Yale Doyle (too many men); 16:03 Yale Doyle (delay of game); 16:44 AF
Veneri & Rice Yale Allen & Duffy (hitting after); 19:00 AF Javorski
(holding)

Third peroid
9) 4 AF Courtney (Billerica native Mark Degironimo, Bilek), 9:48. PPG
        Penalties
4:50 AF Veneri (holding); 8:36 Yale Lombardi (high sticking); 11:59 AF
Glusto (holding); 16:14 AF Brown (high sticking)

Power Plays
Yale 1/7
AF   4/8

Officials: Dawes, Zanetti, and Toner

        I didn't get the final shots on the goal because the great Yale
Precision Marching Band likes to play over the PA annoucements (and the
sound quality in the Whale is bad enough...) At the end of second, however,
Yale was being outshot 25 to 18, and the margin didn't get any better
through the third.
        I think I have a tendancy to be over-critical, in fact I know I do,
so let me start by stating what was good about this game. The goaltending was
exceptional. Mike Kamatovic, who is ostensibly Yale's third string goalie
played very well in his second start of the year. He made 38 saves in start
number one, and was very close to that tonight. On the other side, Darec
Liebel kept Air Force in this game to the very end.
        In fact, Air Force has a lot to be proud of. They picked up right
where they left off last night. They out-fore-checked and out-hustled Yale
again. The Falcons have a lot of heart...it's just the talent that they
lacked.
        Yale, meanwhile, slept-walked through this game worse, if possible,
than last night. Yale is orders of magnitude better than the Falcons, and
they knew it. They knew they could not show up and win. Even though the
game tonight was close, never at any point did Yale seem nervous. You had
the feeling (even I did) that if Air Force had managed to tie it up, Yale
would have simply scored another goal. (Confer the Bulldogs' 8-7 OT win at
Northeastern, where our top line simpky scored at will, tying it with a
minute left, and then winning it on their first shift of OT)
        The fact that Yale is better does not excuse their lackidasical
play, however. I had hoped that Yale would beat the Falcons, badly, twice,
and send a message to the rest of the nation that Yale was indeed as good
as #9 or #10 in the country. What they said instead was that Yale will play
just good enough to win, and sometimes, not even that. (Confer the 2-1 loss
to BC.)
        In Yale's defense, however, the Falcons did not score a goal on even
strength all weekend. Yale did hit more than their share of posts, and
showed flashes of brillance. What I object to however is the lack of a
consistant level of intensity and effort. I think that down the line, trying to
turn it on and off will come back to haunt the Bulldogs.

        Finally, I just wanted to point out to all hockey-lers that Tommy
Glavine isn't the only hockey player from Billerica, Mass. :)

N.B.--From yesterday's box, Air Force's #3 and #26 are John Glusto and
George Kriz, respectively.
--
If I could do one thing                                     Rob Callum
I would try to write and sing              [log in to unmask]