From:
James Love <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James Love <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jan 1993 17:35:54 -0500
Mike reported last week:
>I didn't see it, but there was apparently an article in the Boston Herald
>a few days ago regarding the job of head coach at UMass-Amherst which is to
>be filled very soon.  UMass intends to start play next season and join
>Hockey East in about 2.5 years.  A friend who saw the article said that two
>of the (many) people mentioned as having applied for the job are former Bruin
>Don Awrey and former RPI coach Mike Addesa.

  A friend in Boston mailed me the clipping from the Herald "UMass Field Wide
Open" (5 January) and it arrived today.  It made for interesting lunchtime
reading; for anyone who cares, here's an expanded list of people mentioned in
the article as having applied or "under consideration" for the job:

Terry Meagher   Current Bowdoin head coach; ex-BU under Parker
Paul Fenton     Ex-Winnipeg (NHL) Jet; Sprngfld (MA) native; ex-BU under Parker
Don Awrey       Ex-Boston (NHL) Bruin
Mike McShane    Current PC head coach; former SLU head coach; ex-UNH under Holt
Mike Addesa     Current Detroit (NHL) scout; former Holy Cross (DivIII) head
                  coach; former RPI head coach [1 NCAA title - 1985]
Buddy Powers    Current RPI head coach; Hyde Park (MA) native
Val Belmonte    Former Harvard asst. coach; former UIC head coach
Dennis Gendron  Current Maine asst. coach
Jay Leach       Current Sprngfld Indians (AHL) head coach; former Maine asst.
                  coach; former Hartford (NHL) asst. coach
Brian Durocher  Current Brown asst. coach; Sprngfld native; ex-BU under Parker
Bill Hanson     Current Catholic Memorial (MA) head coach; career mark of
                   240-56-13; won 6 of last 7 Mass. State Hockey Titles
Frank Anzalone  Former LSSU head coach [1 NCAA title - 1988]; ex-UNH under Holt
G. Gwozdecky    Current Miami (Ohio) head coach
Joe Mallen      Current BC asst. coach; former UMass-Boston head coach
                   [1 ECAC DivIII title - 1983]
Jim Madigan     Current N'Eastern asst. coach

>The stringent requirements listed for the job appear to work against Awrey
>and, I suspect, many of the other applicants.  UMass wants someone with a
>bachelor's degree and with the "demonstrated ability to develop and
>administer a Division I program" (from the ad published by UMass).

  The article noted that 8-10 candidates would undergo on-campus interviews
this month, after which the field would be narrowed to 3 finalists by the
search committee for submission to the Board of Regents; the final selection
is to be announced near the end of the current hockey season in mid-March.

Jim
Go Blue !!  Beat them Hounds !!