Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 1993 22:34:29 EST
Personally, I like the idea of a hockey NIT, but I don't think it will
ever come to that -
  The hockey tournament is a money-maker for the NCAA, I believe.  Even
 though it's small potatoes compared to football and basketball, hockey
 still draws well.  I thought I read one time that hockey was either
 the number 3 moneymaker among NCAA sports, or maybe it was that the
 hockey tournament was the third most lucrative post-season affair
 after basketball and football.

  I think the NCAA rules are probably aimed at sports whose tournaments
have lost money over the years - does anyone know if the lacrosse tourney
makes any money, for instance?