Jim Teresco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 1993 18:12:08 EST
First of all, thanks to Mike for posting such a good summary of the
Union-Merrimack game on New Years Day.  Unfortunately the game wasn't
even on the radio here.

All that I can really add is that Coach Delventhal was very unhappy
with his team.  According to Ken Schott who covers Union Hockey for
the Schenectady Gazette, Delventhal held a loud closed door meeting
for 20 minutes after the Merrimack game.  He feels that the players
are becoming satisfied with playing good for just a period or two -
not the whole game.

Mike writes:
> Union goalie Mike Gallant also played extremely well in keeping the score
> close and made several outstanding saves.  Gallant entered the game with
> an 0-1-0 record (can't figure that out since he played the first 9:24 of
> the season-opening 6-5 loss to Army and allowed only four goals, meaning
> that Luigi Villa, who relieved him, actually surrendered the GWG) and a
> 25.53 GAA.  He lowered that to 5.19 after this outing and was awarded the
> game's third star.

You are right about Gallant allowing just the first 4 goals against
Army.  The loss has been given to Gallant, though, everywhere I've
seen.

Union will host Yale on Friday and Princeton on Saturday.  I was at
the rink this afternoon and the ticket line was going out the front
door (!), so it looks like the crowds will be pretty good this
weekend.
--
Jim Teresco, Union College C.S. Department Graduate Assistant
Dept. of Computer Science, Union College, Schenectady, NY 12038