Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 1993 14:27:22 -0500
> Not only will Division I hockey not see an increase in tournament size
in the near future, but the NC$$ will continue to "monitor sponsorship
numbers" to be certain that hockey qualifies for a championship....

> The Executive Committee has also proposed legislation that will eliminate
all current exemptions for the discontinuation of a championship (for
example, revenue status), and will specify that a championship will be
discontinued after the year in which it fails to meet the minimum number
required.

---

OK, I've gotta say it: what is WITH these people at the NCAA?

As I see it, the NCAA has the following legitimate reasons for its
existence:

1. Court of appeal when conferences fight.
2. "Phantom conference" organization for independents.
3. Interface between conferences/indies and the rest of the world (the
tri-headed monster of the media, the government, and the public).

In all of its activities (which should be kept to a minimum) the NCAA
should have a PRIME DIRECTIVE:

"We will represent the interests of the student athlete." (The
coaches, the schools, the fans, the alumni, and the conferences can take
care of themselves.)

If the NCAA doesn't want to recognize, say, the Division I or Division
III Men's Hockey Championship or, when they start up next year, the
Division I Women's Hockey Championship, that's certainly their privilege.
It isn't an abuse of power or anything. But I defy any representative of
the NCAA to rationalize how doing so is an exercise of any one of its
legitimate functions or in the spirit of its prime directive.

Anybody want to start a hockey N.I.T.? ("How about an automatic Ivy bid?"
"Oh, will you shut up!" "Sorry...")

Greg
Somerville
Let's Go Red! (Into the Belly of the Burlington Beast)