From:
Roger L Spurgeon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roger L Spurgeon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jan 1993 13:29:20 +0000
Scores:  Saturday : Michigan 7, Alberta 1
         Sunday   : Michigan 2, Alberta 2

I attended Saturday's game (the box summary will be posted Wed.), and
it sure felt good to be back in Yost after a two week absence.

As I expected, the Wolverines came out very flat in the First period,
but by the second they were up to speed and played a great game. Mike
Stone and Cam Stewart each had two goals, and both Steve Shields and
Chris Gordon played strong in the Michigan net.

As the game reached the blowout status, the Golden Bears started to
play some aggresive, hard hitting, violent hockey--to which the
Wolverines gladly played along.  The third period was rather vicious,
with Alberta's resident goon--a very large guy named Cross--going after
the Michigan players.  Michigan's Sacka played along; he chased Cross
all over the ice and when he couldn't get him he went after somebody
else.  Once, Referee Brent Rutherford escorted Sacka to his bench and
asked Red Berenson: "Would you take care of this baby, please?"  This
comment met with much approval with the Alberta fans sitting directly
in front of me.  They cheered and jeered loud enough to get Sacka's
father (sitting 3 rows and 2 seats from me) up and about to start
a fight.  After we got the fans to start acting their age (about 40ish)
we watched the rest of the hockey game--which was relatively uneventful.

SUNDAY:
I was not at this game, but my friend in the press box told me all about
the two-two tie.  Chris Gordon played the entire game for Michigan, and
stopped 27 shots.  Amy complains, and I agree with her, that the Mich
defense NEVER seems to play well in front of Gordon, thus never giving
him the chance to play well.  She said this once again happened Sunday.

The game was incredibly violent, with 25 penalties handed out to
Michigan alone.  Apparently, during one of the many group bouts on the
ice, somebody nailed Alberta's Cross in the mouth, knocking out at least
one tooth.  Amy (with her sick sense of humor) told me all about the
trail of blood all over the ice and of the ensuing search for his tooth.
There was _no_ penalty called on the play, and no one saw who did the
hit.

Hockey is an interesting game, isn't it?

OTHER COMMENTS:
I enjoyed my vacation, especially since I was at the Joe Louis Arena
for the 7-3 Michigan victory over Northern.  The game was enjoyable,
at least for us Wolverine fans.  As was mentioned already, I was im-
pressed with the officiating of Sheppard (WCHA) and Shegos (CCHA).
They worked both Michigan games in the tourney and did a great job in
both.  I really like watching college hockey on PASS, not because of
the camera work or the announcers (which both need some work), but
because of the "miked" refs.  It sure adds a good look at an aspect
of the game we fans rarely get to see.  And it gives me a lot of
added respect for the officials and the job they have to do.  More
on this later.

(John H:I am supposed to be getting the official box summaries from
my source in the press box every Wednesday..if you want I can get them
to you also...)

Happy New Year Everyone -- It's nice to be back at school!

May the New Year bring us all nothing but smiles and happy times!
Roger L. Spurgeon               [log in to unmask]     |_  \    /  _|
Michigan Engineering `94                                 | \ \  / / |
MICHIGAN HOCKEY  --  1992 GLI CHAMPIONS!  5-IN-A-ROW!   _| | \  / | |_
DETROIT RED WINGS -- THANKS NORTHERN FOR DALLAS DRAKE!  |__|  \/  |__|
MUDDY THE MUD HEN SAYS THE STORM WILL RAGE ON IN TOLEDO!   Go Blue!