From:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Dec 1992 21:40:17 -0600
Carol notes in her message:

>In the second period, Magnusson scored his first of the year and celebrated by
>skating to the opposite end of the rink with his stick high in the air! His
>line-mates chased him down there and piled on top of him. ;-) The crowd was
>amused much by this show of originality!!

and:
>When Scott Bell scored at 17:24 of the third period, he and
>Magnusson who got the lone assist, rode their sticks like hobby-horses down to
>the other end of the rink. This only made the Huskies madder.

I think it's worth noting that it was implied on the TV broadcast that the
Gophers had been a little angry at some of St. Cloud's post-goal celebrations
the night before, and that's what precipitated this.

>The rematch in early March should be interesting.
>
>-Carol

Hopefully tempers will have time to cool down before then, and the league
in its infinite wisdom will see fit to assign someone other than (Medo
Martinello Memorial Cup contender) Brutal Bob Ames and his sidekick K.C.
Chermak to referee the game.  Brutal Bob's problem is that he's so
inconsistent that players don't know what they can and can't get away with,
so they end up having to do the retaliating themselves.  Sometimes they'll
be called for it, sometimes they won't.  The TV broadcasters (who, it is worth
noting, also do North Stars games, so they're used to chippy hockey) called
the game "inexcusable" on the part of both teams AND both referees.

Pam Sweeney
Go Gophers!!!