From:
Kenny Zalewski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 16 Dec 1992 21:01:37 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] writes:
>Early in the 3rd period there was a pile up in our crease with 3 Pointers
>sprawled on the ice and one Yellowjacket jabbing at the puck underneath
>somewhere.  It took the ref a long time to blow the whistle and when he did he
>gave us a 2-min delay of game which went up on the board.  But he also awarded
>Superior a penalty shot!  Can you award a penalty shot for delay?  When they
>converted the shot, they took the delay off the board.  I guess if he had
>missed we would have been a man down - sort of double jeapordy.

OK, here's the deal.  If a defending player (excluding the goalkeeper)
covers the puck in his own crease, a penalty shot is automatically
awarded to the attacking team.  If that was ALL that had happened in
this case, then no time should have been put up on the clock, since
the penalty shot is taken in lieu of any minor penalty.

However, if ANOTHER delay of game was awarded, for something else, in
addition to the penalty shot, then that time would go up on the clock.
But because the penalty shot was successful, the penalty is not served,
and the time is taken off.

Either way, the procedure was done incorrectly.  Any time a team has a minor
penalty called against it, IN ADDITION TO a penalty shot, the time for the
minor should not be displayed until AFTER the shot is taken.  If the shot
is successful, then no one serves anything, since the goal cancels out
the penalty.  If the shot is not successful, then the minor is put up
on the clock and served.  Remember, this is only when a minor penalty
is called in addition to the penalty shot.  In the usual case, when a
penalty shot is taken because a player got fouled from behind on a
breakaway, whether or not the shooter scores, no penalty is ever
served (unless it was a major or worse).               -- kennyz

--
Kenny Zalewski -- Computer Science Department; Intramural Department
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 83 Albright Court, Troy, NY, 12180