Date:
Thu, 10 Dec 1992 08:53:49 -0500
From this mornings Star Tribune in an article by John Gilbert:

CALLINAN SET TO GO

Jeff Callinan, the Gophers sophomore goaltender from Minnetonka <Minn.>, is
looking forward to playing for the United States Junior National team for the
next two weeks. Callinan has alternated with senior Tom Newman this season and
might earn a shot at becoming the No. 1 goalie with strong performances against
 St Cloud State, the Czech Selects, two games at Alaska-Anchorage, and in the
Gophers' own tournament at Mariucci Arena.

Instead, he'll miss all those games. "If I didn't go, I'd probably kick myself
later on for passing up the opportunity," Callinan said Wednesday. "I leave
Monday, and while I'll miss seven games with the Gophers, only two of those
(St Cloud, next weekend) are WCHA games. I'll get back right before the UMD
series."

The Gophers didn't have any other players selected. <!!>  "I couldn't believe
Brian Bonin or Justin McHugh didn't make it," Callinan said.  Only six WCHA
players were named to the team, which will be coached by Walt Kyle, an
assistant at Northern Michigan. <I thought Kyle had left Northern this year??>
 They include goaltender Jim Carey and defensemen Mark Strobel and Brian
Rafalski, all from Wisconsin, and forward Pat Mikesch and defenseman Liam
Garvey of Michigan Tech.

The team will gather in Lake Placid, N.Y., for three days of practice, and will
 participate in a preliminary tournament before the World Junior Tournament,
which runs December 26 through January 4 in Sweden.

Comments in < > are mine. More Gopher notes later today.

-Carol