From:
Mark Grassl <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Grassl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Dec 1992 14:21:08 -0600
        Some quick personal opinions on a number of rhetorical
        questions posed by Eric H.

>My question is:  Isn't part of being a college hockey FAN, being a partisan
>supporter of one team and tending to *despise* rival teams?

        Answer: NO!  This is known as being a poor sport.  I appreciate
        a certain amount of humorous teasing (a subtle skill that requires
        some intelligence) but to despise the opponent seems a bit
        overboard.

>                                                             Granted there
>is some enjoyment from just liking to watch good hockey and to appreciate
>the other teams.

        Answer: YES!

>                  But IMHO, its the rivalries and loyalties to our own schools
>that get us involved in the first place.

        Answer: NO!  See above.

>Should hockey-l get cluttered up with nasty posts back and forth?

        Answer:  Definitely not!  If you want flames and immature woofing
        read a USENET newsgroup like a rec.sport.football.college.  At
        least with the newsgroups you can avoid the annoying posters by
        using kill files.  I know one person who belongs in a hockey-L
        kill file.

        Time for my rhetorical question aimed at a few but by no means
        all ECAC posters.  Why do people find badmouthing their school's
        atheletic rivals such a precious college memory?  Why do they
        feel compelled to share these memories with uninterested
        strangers?  Is this an Eastern college thing?

--mark "mr. holiday cheer" grassl

P.S. I'm not picking on Eric, I'm picking on a certain other ECAC poster.