From:
Mark Grassl <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Grassl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Dec 1992 10:22:34 -0600
The question of few WCHA-ECAC games has been raised.  Here are my
opinions based on my experience at Wisconsin.  Basically the ECAC
teams don't provide the sort of things that Wisc. looks for in a
nonconference opponent ignoring possible tournament (Badger Showdown
in Milwaukee) matchups.

1.  Not enough nonconference games.  Wisc. plays 32 conference
games and has two games in a tourney they host.  Why don't Wisc.
and the other WCHA schools opt for fewer WCHA games and more
nonconf. games?  See below.

2.  No local tie-in.  The ECAC schools are too far away.  Back
when the 38 game schedule existed, Wisconsin's opponents were
usually from the midwest.  Teams like Ill-Chicago(tons of UW
alumni in Chicago) and St. Cloud(pre-WCHA days) filled the
schedule.

3.  We want patsies.  Not a very noble motive but suppose you are the
coach.  Wouldn't you like a few "almost sure wins".  It gives the
coach a chance to experiment with young players(esp. goalies) in a low
pressure situation.  The season ticket holders still have to pay for
these games whether they show up or not.  The patsies are willing
to play at Wisc. and Wisc doesn't have to give them a return series.
(No I'm not going to name any patsies publically.  Hope I haven't
offended anyone but I think my bluntness speaks the truth.)

4.  The fans could care less about Eastern teams.  Sad but true.
Back when the WCHA and He had interlocking schedules the attendance
was poor when the HE teams visited Wisc.  It did not matter whether
BC or BU were a top eastern team.  The average fan doesn't get
much info about non-WCHA college teams.  All they care about the
traditional rivals(Minn & N Dakota) and winning the WCHA.

Given the above, I don't expect to see the WCHA turn away from a
32 game schedule.  Personally I'd love to see more nonconference
games with top teams.  However, I feel there is so much pressure on the
conference games and, as in all leagues, there are few gimmes in
league play.  Any nonconference opponents that Wisc adds will
be with weaker teams.

---mg