From:
Roger L Spurgeon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roger L Spurgeon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Dec 1992 15:21:20 +0000
BOX SCORE FOLLOWS COMMENTARY::::

Well, Michigan finally showed why it was ranked #1 in the preseason.  The
Ole' Blue came out in the first period eager and ready to play.  The
checking was fierce and the passes were crisp.  It was clear that Michigan
had finally found themselves when Stiver hit the first goal of the night
only 1 minute, 4 seconds into the game.  The Spartans seemed dazed--after
watching tapes of Michigan's lackluster performances I'm sure they weren't
expecting such a display.

I was quite impressed with the play of Michigan, they clearly dominated
the first period, shooting 2 goals past Spartan goalie Mike Buzak within
the first 4 minutes.  State only had 5 shots on goal the entire period,
and I don't think any of them had any chance to get by Steve Shields.

While Red Berenson got the Wolverines to show up for the first and second
periods, they apparently forgot about the third.  Right from the start of
the third, Michigan stopped hitting the passes and they stopped checking.
It was back to the Michigan team that had been playing for the past few
weeks.  Seemingly content to hold onto the lead (taking lessons from Gary
Moeller, huh, Red?) the Wolverines seemed to back away from the Spartans,
giving them tons of strong scoring opporunties.  All this year I've seen a
Michigan team that didn't check--seemingly afraid of doing the hitting and
afraid to get hit back.  This is exactly what they did during the third,
and it almost cost them the game.

The last minute of the third was nerve-wracking for every one of the home
fans packed into Yost.  The Spartans had 4 or 5 solid scoring chances,
with Shields seemingly unable to cover rebounds and the Michigan defense
unable to clear the puck.  State's last gasp, at 19:59 on the clock was
a point shot (I missed who shot it...) that flew past Steve Shields and
either hit the goal post, hit someone else, or went in the net _just_
after time had expired (I heard each possibility for someone on the walk
home, and I couldn't tell from my seat.)

It was a great game, and the display of Michigan's true power (for 40
minutes) is a good-no, great--sign that the Blue just might get their
acts together in time for a trip to Milwaukee.

See ya'll at the Bradley Center!

-------------------------------------------------------BOX SCORE--------
Friday, Dec 4:

MICHIGAN STATE          0  2  1  =  3
MICHIGAN                2  2  0  =  4

1st Period:
UM      1:04    Goal: Stiver (4th of season)
                Assists: Ouimet, Roberts
MSU     2:09    Fleming (Holding)
UM      3:02  PPGoal: Oliver (13th)
                Assists: Stewart, Wiseman
(MSU switch goalies: #1 Kruse in for #32 Buzak)
UM      3:35    Ward (Charging)
MSU     7:41    Vanstaalduinen (Holding)
UM      12:50   Sakala (Hooking)
MSU     20:00   Smolinski (High-Sticking)

2nd Period:
UM      1:09  PPGoal: Oliver (14th, 2nd of game)
                Assists: Wiseman, Stewart
UM      5:30    Ouimet (Tripping)
MSU     7:07  PPGoal: Clifford (4th)
                Assists: Guolla, Murray
UM      10:16   Goal: Neaton (2nd)
                Assists: Sakala, Stone
(MSU: switch goalies: Buzak in for Kruse)
MSU     13:29   Turner (Check from Behind)
MSU     16:18   Perreault (CrossChecking)
MSU     17:35 SHGoal: Smolinski (12th)
                Unassisted
UM      20:00   Roberts (Roughing)
MSU             Turner (Roughing)       (Coincidental)

3rd Period:
MSU     0:48    Goal: Smolinski (13th, 2nd of game)
                Assists: Shalawylo, Guolla
UM      7:19    Ward (Holding)
MSU     10:29   Smolinski (Hooking)

Referees:       Dan Shegos (not the infamous Matt...but close)
                Graff
Linesman:       Lulich

Attendance:     7,525 (Capacity)

Roger L. Spurgeon               [log in to unmask]     |_  \    /  _|
Michigan Engineering `94                                 | \ \  / / |
MICHIGAN WOLVERINE HOCKEY  --  1991/2 CCHA CHAMPIONS!   _| | \  / | |_
DETROIT RED WINGS -- 1991/2 NORRIS DIVSION CHAMPIONS!   |__|  \/  |__|