Date:
Sat, 5 Dec 1992 12:38:00 EDT
I think it is time for the little man to get some credit.
It is obvious that UMaine is off to a raging start, their
best ever.  There has been much talk about the Ferraro twins,
Karyia, and the perenial success of Jim Montgomery, as well
as many other talented UMaine players.

Maybe I'm a sucker for the Davey and Goliath stories, but I
think the 5'4" junior transfer from Georgetown deserves a little
recognition.  When he arrived at Maine, there was much talk
about weather or not a small guy like Cal could compete at this
level, and weather or not their would be a place for him on the
Maine squad.  Thus far this season he has 16 goals, along
with a fair amount of qualit assists, and he doesn't seem to
be slowing.  I guess he has changed a few opinions concerning
his ability to play at this level?

As far as exciting players to watch, I don't know much about
college hockey having only followed it for about a couple years
now, Cal really lights up the crowd, and draws alot of attention.
Last year at Maine he was voted Fan Favorite at Maine.  From what
I have seen of college hockey, I have never seen anyone that
works as hard on the ice as Cal, he has to.  At his size, he is
constantly being thrown around game in and game out, but he still
manages to slip his way between towering defensemen and find the net,
or the open shooter.

As far as his passing game goals, he has great hands, but it is
nice to see him shoot the puck.  Last year, he seemed to try too
hard to pass, and he consistantly gave up the shot.  This year, it
seems that he makes better decisions, hitting the open man for easy
goals, or pulling the trigger when the shot is there.  Cal, keep on
working!!

Matt
Bentley 9?

M       A       I       N       E