From:
R David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
R David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 1992 21:53:56 EST
I am not going to bother with a long post on this, or even the box score
because the quality of this game, from both teams, does not deserve it.
Needless to say, the Buckeyes played worse than the Bulldogs, and lost at the
Ice Rink by a score of 6-3, the final FSU score being in the empty net.

This was the first game this year that I have seen that was *poorly*
officiated.  There were a lot of phantom calls and missed calls.  They seemed
to call penalties (Rutherford and CLine) according to how hard the player hit
the boards or if he fell to the ice with a little more of a "thud" than usual.
This led to frequent calling of penalties that were not appropriate for the
situation, eg. hitting from behind when both players were facing each other.
FSU goalie Pat Mazzoli literally stuck his leg out and tripped an OSU forward
as he went by the crese.  It was very obvious as Mazzoli had to stick his leg
way out and the forward was the only Buckeye in the area.  However, neither of
the two refs seemed to see this.  It was just poorly officiated...both teams
were very chippy and the refs lost control of the game early.

I won't be there tomorrow night, but if the two teams play like this again, I
won't be missing much.

Some scores overheard tonight, all around the third period:

Mich 4 MSU 3
Miami 7 BGSU 5
Kent St. 4 LSSU 2  (this is not a typo!!)
UIC and W. Mich were tied at 0 in the 2nd.

--
Dave [log in to unmask]
Cornell '91 OSU Med '95