From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 1992 03:47:35 EST
I've been following college hockey since 1985, and my vote goes to Shawn
McEachern of BU, now of Pittsburgh.  Juneau gets an honorable mention.
I'll admit that I haven't seen as many of the western players as I would
have liked, although Stauber really impressed me when Minnesota came to
Northeastern in 1987-88.  I chose McEachern because he was a player who was
always a threat in any situation and made something happen whenever he got
the puck.  The combination of he and Amonte was deadly shorthanded and
probably the best shorthanded duo I've ever seen, with all due respect to
Maine's current penalty-killers who have some ridiculous number of SHG this
year.  McEachern would have shattered John Cullen's all-time scoring mark
at BU had he returned for his senior year - McEachern finished with 186
points in three years, fourth behind Cullen with 241, Rick Meagher 210, and
Mike Eruzione 208, and those three guys did it in four years.  A lot of the
reasons I chose McEachern apply with Juneau as well, which is why he comes
in a close second.

The only problem with choosing a single most exciting player is that you
have to leave out all the other guys who have also been fun to watch, and
I'm just happy to have had the chance to see a lot of them...that's what
makes college hockey so great.  Another reason to get out and see some of
the great players around this year or tune them in on tv...they won't be
around for long.  Enjoy them while you can.
---
Mike Machnik    [log in to unmask]   Color Voice of the Merrimack Warriors
(Any opinions expressed above are strictly those of the poster.)    *HMN*