From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Dec 1992 01:08:42 EST
I wrote about the 14 of 18 Michigan players scoring being a record:
>Don't you just love when folks come up with these phony stats...shows how
>much you should trust PASS.

I'm sorry if this sounded as if I was criticizing Roger and I want to clear
that up...the "folks" I was referring to was PASS and I meant to criticize
them.  Also sorry if I sounded nitpicky, I just wanted to point out that
some of the obscure stats you may hear might not be true and that just
because you see it on tv or read it in the paper (or read it on hockey-l!),
doesn't necessarily mean it's true.  The fact that they were proclaiming to
be an "NC$$ record" something that had already been eclipsed just two weeks
earlier seemed to show a bad job of research on their part.  I guess it's
also possible that the stat came directly from Michigan, since the media
gets a lot of its numbers (especially obscure ones) right from the schools
themselves, but at any rate, it was incorrect.  One of the great things
about hockey-l is that with all of the combined knowledge each of us
brings, we can usually get to the bottom of such burning issues :-), and I
certainly invite people to call me on any mistakes I make (and this has
happened often!).  Again, sorry Roger, if there was a misunderstanding of
my intentions...back to hockey.
---
Mike Machnik    [log in to unmask]   Color Voice of the Merrimack Warriors
(Any opinions expressed above are strictly those of the poster.)    *HMN*