From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 1992 19:17:22 EST
>The December 4th HOCKEY NEWS lists their early line Hobey favorites
>in the following order:
>
>  Greg Johnson, N Dakota, C
>  Ted Drury, Harvard, C
>  Derek Plante, Minn-Duluth, C
>  Jim Montgomery, Maine, C
>  Brian Wiseman, Michigan, C

Quick note - THN listed these 5 as their top candidates in order, with the
following 4 as also in the hunt.

>  Barry Richter, Wisconsin, D
>  Angelo Ricci, Denver, C
>  Bryan Smolinski, Mich State, C
>  Paul Kariya, Maine, C
>
>I guess there are no good wingers or goaltenders in Division I.  :-)
>(Doesn't Kariya actually play LW?)

Yes, they probably got this from the preseason roster which had him listed
as a C.

Unofficially, Kariya added to his HE and I believe nation-leading totals
with 3-3--6 in the three games in Alaska, giving him 11-24--35 in 12
overall games.  Maine plays 38 regular season games which would give him
about 110 points at the current pace before the playoffs, and at this pace
if Maine made it to the championship game, he could play 45 games with 131
points.  Just FYI. :-)
---
Mike Machnik    [log in to unmask]   Color Voice of the Merrimack Warriors
(Any opinions expressed above are strictly those of the poster.)    *HMN*