From:
Charlie Slavin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charlie Slavin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 1992 08:36:28 EST
Mike (you guys all know Mike) writes:
>"[log in to unmask]" writes:
>>In my understanding, one reason Kariya may not "deserve" consideration for the
>>Hobey Baker award is that it's not simply a top-numbers award.  There is also
>>consideration for the student's academic performance; in addition, the
>>committee considers the "character" of the player, what he's like as a person
>>off the ice.  (For instance, non-academic community involvement on and off
>>campus?)  In these last two respects, has Kariya really had the opportunity to
>>establish himself as a candidate?

Here's something I stumbled over while I was writing a note to Mike
and looking through some of my old Hobey Baker Programs.  The criteria
for the award have evidently changed recently.  To wit:

1992 Program:
     "Candidates must contribute to the integrity of the team
      and display outstanding skills in all phases of the game."

1990 Program:  (Sorry I don't have a '91 - anybody?)
     "Candidates should display outstanding hockey skills and
      contribute to the team effort."

Not much of a change, but personally I like the older version where
it is clear that a goalie or defensive defenseman, for instance,
would get due consideration.

More importantly...

1992 Program:
     "Candidates must exhibit strength of character both on and
      off the ice.

     "Consideration *should* [my emphasis] be given to scholastic
      achievement, sportsmanship, and aspirations."

1990 Program:
     "Other considerations include scholastic achievement, strength
      of character, and aspirations."

1988 Program:
     "Consideration may be given to scholastic achievement, strength
      of character, and aspirations."

So, it appears the qualifications have been evolving over the 12
year life of the award.  I would guess concerning this last criterion
many of us feel most comfortable with the most recent wording - but
that's just a guess.  Personally, I am very tired of so-called
"scholar-athletes" who are anything but.  I certainly don't think a
player needs to be a Joe Juneau or Scott Pellerin - both of whom I
know were outstanding students in serious disciplines - to be considered,
but we should only consider athletes who actually *are* students.

>From what I have seen, Kariya has represented Maine well on and off the
>ice.  I don't know enough about his other characteristics, and some of them
>we won't know till later on (like academic standing).  I certainly agree
>that a guy with 200 points and a 1.9 GPA probably wouldn't be a good
>choice, for example (and I'm not suggesting Kariya will end up with a
>1.9 OR 200 points! :-)).  In the interviews I've seen/read, he has appeared
>a little more mature beyond his years but with the expected enthusiasm of
>an 18-year-old (note his age; hearing he's from Canada, most people would
>think he must be at least 19-20).  He's been quick to downplay his success
>and credit teammates instead, so I'd agree that he'd probably resist any
>suggestions that he be considered for the Hobey.  That doesn't mean he
>isn't qualified, though.

I think the pertinent point of Mike's comments here is that it
is still too early to *know* how well Kariya fits the Hobey
qualifications - by the end of the season we will all be in a
much better position to know!

>One thing I am concerned about is the idea that the Hobey should somehow
>"reward" a player for an outstanding career.  I don't see anything in the
>criteria that states this, and voters should not consider things like this,
>although I am sure that they probably do.  I believed Pellerin won last
>year because he did have such an outstanding 1991-92 season, had great
>numbers and was a superb defensive player as well, had a great record of
>community involvement and a fantastic academic record.  I don't think it
>had much to do with his career - he didn't even have a great junior
>year, and before his senior year, some people thought he had the numbers he
>did as a freshman because of the experienced players he played with.  He
>proved them wrong.  If it did have much to do with his career, he would
>have been considered a serious candidate before the season, and he was not.
>Maine was not even pushing him for the Hobey before the season; they were
>pushing Roy and Montgomery.  Pellerin emerged as a surprise to many, even
>to Maine fans I'd bet.

Exactly.  I agree completely - indeed I was as surprised as anyone.
But Pellerin *did* deserve the award - for his play *last year*!

>like I was right. :-)  Perhaps in a way I am hoping he will break the
>"Hobey must go to an upperclassman" mold that has little basis in fact.  I
>just want folks to vote it based solely on the criteria and to heck with
>all the preconceived notions.  Just give it to the most deserving player.

Perhaps with Stauber, and in one sense both Broten and Hrkac, that
mold has already been broken.  But "amen" to the "give it to the most
deserving player."  And we all get to have our opinions on that!

Charlie
 Charlie Slavin
 Mathematics in Maine                "It's a great day for hockey."
 [log in to unmask]                 BOB JOHNSON 1931 - 1991