From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 1992 02:00:00 EST
"[log in to unmask]" writes:
>In my understanding, one reason Kariya may not "deserve" consideration for the
>Hobey Baker award is that it's not simply a top-numbers award.  There is also
>consideration for the student's academic performance; in addition, the
>committee considers the "character" of the player, what he's like as a person
>off the ice.  (For instance, non-academic community involvement on and off
>campus?)  In these last two respects, has Kariya really had the opportunity to
>establish himself as a candidate?

These are certainly good points, as are some of the others that have been
raised.  It is true that the Hobey is not a popularity contest and it isn't
just for the guy with the best numbers.  All of the other factors listed as
criteria for the award should be considered and the best candidate chosen.

From what I have seen, Kariya has represented Maine well on and off the
ice.  I don't know enough about his other characteristics, and some of them
we won't know till later on (like academic standing).  I certainly agree
that a guy with 200 points and a 1.9 GPA probably wouldn't be a good
choice, for example (and I'm not suggesting Kariya will end up with a
1.9 OR 200 points! :-)).  In the interviews I've seen/read, he has appeared
a little more mature beyond his years but with the expected enthusiasm of
an 18-year-old (note his age; hearing he's from Canada, most people would
think he must be at least 19-20).  He's been quick to downplay his success
and credit teammates instead, so I'd agree that he'd probably resist any
suggestions that he be considered for the Hobey.  That doesn't mean he
isn't qualified, though.

One thing I am concerned about is the idea that the Hobey should somehow
"reward" a player for an outstanding career.  I don't see anything in the
criteria that states this, and voters should not consider things like this,
although I am sure that they probably do.  I believed Pellerin won last
year because he did have such an outstanding 1991-92 season, had great
numbers and was a superb defensive player as well, had a great record of
community involvement and a fantastic academic record.  I don't think it
had much to do with his career - he didn't even have a great junior
year, and before his senior year, some people thought he had the numbers he
did as a freshman because of the experienced players he played with.  He
proved them wrong.  If it did have much to do with his career, he would
have been considered a serious candidate before the season, and he was not.
Maine was not even pushing him for the Hobey before the season; they were
pushing Roy and Montgomery.  Pellerin emerged as a surprise to many, even
to Maine fans I'd bet.

I guess I am saying that if Kariya does continue to have a great year, AND
meets the other criteria as well, then he should not be overlooked simply
because of his being a freshman.  And of course I'm not trying to put undue
pressure on the guy by bringing this up (anyone passing it on to Shawn?), I
just thought the idea was interesting and one worth debating - and it looks
like I was right. :-)  Perhaps in a way I am hoping he will break the
"Hobey must go to an upperclassman" mold that has little basis in fact.  I
just want folks to vote it based solely on the criteria and to heck with
all the preconceived notions.  Just give it to the most deserving player.

And as some have mentioned, everyone should keep their eyes open when Maine
comes to a rink near them or appears on tv - he's a good one, and he may
be gone before we realize it.  Oh, and the rest of the team's not bad
either. :-)

- mike (and some said I'd lost my edge and wasn't controversial anymore)
---
Mike Machnik    [log in to unmask]   Color Voice of the Merrimack Warriors
(Any opinions expressed above are strictly those of the poster.)    *HMN*