From:
Charlie Slavin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charlie Slavin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Nov 1992 20:00:09 EST
Pam Sweeney writes

>Charlie Slavin's post about the Hobey Baker contained the list of past winners
>>
>>        1981: Neal Broten, Minnesota (Rouseau, MN) F - JUNIOR
>>
>>I think those classes listed are correct - there's some confusion over
>>both Broten and Hrkac since they both took a year off from school to
>>play for their national teams (Broten - US in '80-81 and Hrkac - CAN in
>>'85-86).
>>
>Actually, Neal Broten took off the '79-80 season to play with the Olympic
>team, so he was in his sophomore year of eligibility when he won the
>first-ever Hobey Baker award.  Also, his hometown is Roseau, MN.  (Only
>one "u".)

Pam is, of course, correct.  I certainly knew Broten took off the '79-80
season to play with the Olympic team - and help the US win the gold
medal.  The spelling of Roseau, MN is probably something that I will
*never* get straight!  My apologies.

Pam is also correct that Broten - and the same is true with Hrkac - was
in his sophomore year of eligibility.  I counted years after they entered
school - they both returned (an unusual situation in itself) after playing
on their national teams.  So if we want to count this way, we should
make Hrkac a sophomore on my list as well.

Since I'm posting again, I'll mention an article in the paper today
(Bangor Daily News) which talks about how Shawn Walsh wishes the NHL
would make up its mind about who will be playing in the Olympics - a
"Dream Team" or the usual collection of college and other "Non-Dream-
Teamers"  (BTW, if anyone asks me, I'll vote every time for the latter.)
Of course, the NHL's decision will determine who comes back for Maine
next year - Dunham, Imes and the Ferraros are obvious candidates for
the US team and Kariya for the Canadian team if the Dream Team concept
is not followed.

Shawn is worried about recruiting, but it certainly effects our discussion
here.  It's clear to many Maine fans that we may only get to see Kariya
(and the Ferraros) for one year - should that (the possibility that he
won't be back for any other tries) influence the decision to vote for
Kariya for the Hobey Baker?  And if it influences the decision, should
it influence it in a positive or negative direction?

One final comment on Broten:  Before Kariya got here, I heard comments
on how he reminded people of a young Gretzky.  Well, that's a bit much,
and I pretty much discounted those comments - though Kariya is *very*
good!  But I also read somewhere that compared Kariya to Neal Broten -
since Broten has always been one of my favorites (even though he did
play for arch-rival Minnesota when I was at Wisconsin) - I thought that
was great!  The guy's only played a handful of games, let's give him a
chance to breathe...

BTW, I would second Larry's comments.  Having heard Kariya interviewed,
he seems like a very nice young man - unassuming and positive.  I'd love
to see him here at Maine for a few years, but we should enjoy him while
we can.

Charlie

 Charlie Slavin
 Mathematics in Maine                "It's a great day for hockey."
 [log in to unmask]                 BOB JOHNSON 1931 - 1991