Date:
Tue, 24 Nov 1992 16:57:24 EST
As great a player as Paul Kariya is (and you really have to watch
him to believe his amazing puck handling ability), I have to
agree with Ross.  The Hobey Baker so far represents only the
best "well-rounded" players in college hockey: those with
PROVEN leadership qualities, long-haul performance (over a
number of years), solid academic credentials, and, oh yes, decent
stats.

The reason why I was initially surprised at Scott Pellerin's award
last year was that his numbers (32-25) weren't tremendous.  This
was before I thought about his overall record though.  He was
highly respected by the Alfond fans(loved?!?), he had four
solid years of hockey, he could turn a game around with his
physical game (I'm not really proud of this, but he broke
at least two collarbones with his wild forechecking),
he had solid grades in a business major, and he graduated!

The same thing could be said for David Emma the year before.  To
show you the kind of guy Emma was, Maine twice voted him their
most respected opponent, and he graciously accted the first award
at the annual end of season Maine hockey banquet (The words
"Heinz and Emma" will haunt me to my grave).

Actually when Stauber of Minnesota won the award I was a bit
disappointed only because he (arguably) hadn't paid his dues,
both in longevity and on the academic side...

I've read a number of interviews with Kariya, and my guess is
that he would be the first to agree with me.   He sounds like
a great kid...

Go Blue
Larry Latour
UMaine  (and Michigan too of course, until the NCAAs)\