From:
Charlie Slavin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charlie Slavin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Nov 1992 17:12:19 EST
Well, I'm not at all sure how I feel about the possibility of Paul
Kariya winning the Hobey Baker Award.  I've seen him play four or five
games this year, and without doubt he is an exceptional hockey player.
He's pure excitement on the ice, his passing is wonderful, and his ice
sense seems to be very good.

I have no feeling about his defensive abilities - with
Montgomery, Ingraham, and Kariya on the ice the opponent usually has
very little opportunity for offense.  However, I will mention that I
have noticed that Shawn Walsh does not play Kariya, Montgomery,
Ingraham, or the Ferraros at the end of some games (he probably should
have followed that practice at BU on Saturday!) - I don't know if it's
for defensive measures or its to avoid injuries to his smaller scoring
forwards.

Okay - so I'm still thinking about whether Kariya should even be a
candidate for the Hobey - but while I do, here's some information to
include in the debate...

     This information is from the Hobey Baker Memorial Award Program
     from last year's award to Scott Pellerin.

"The Hobey Baker Memorial Award is presented annually to the outstanding
college hockey player in the United States by the Decathlon Club of
Bloomington, Minnesota.  . . .  Since then, the award has become
recognized as U.S. college hockey's premier individual honor."

And from the section on balloting...

"Award criteria:

        1)Candidates must exhibit strength of character both on and off
        the ice.

        2)Candidates must contribute to the integrity of the team and
        display outstanding skills in all phases of the game.

        3)Consideration should be given to scholastic achievement,
        sportsmanship, and aspirations.

        4)Candidates must comply with all NCAA rules; be full-time
        students in an accredited NCAA or NAIA college or university;
        and complete 50% or more of the season."

Well, that should add some grist to the mill.  Now for some info on
former winners (in case you're still awake):

        1981: Neal Broten, Minnesota (Rouseau, MN) F - JUNIOR
        1982: George McPhee, Bowling Green (Guelph, ONT) F - SENIOR
        1983: Mark Fusco, Harvard (Burlington, MA) D - SENIOR
        1984: Tom Kurvers, Minn-Duluth (Bloomington, MN) D - SENIOR
        1985: Bill Watson, Minn-Duluth (Powerview, MAN) F - JUNIOR
        1986: Scott Fusco, Harvard (Burlington, MA) F - SENIOR
        1987: Tony Hrkac, North Dakota (Thunder Bay, ONT) F - JUNIOR
        1988: Robb Stauber, Minnesota (Duluth, MN) G - SOPHOMORE
        1989: Lane MacDonald, Harvard (Mequon, WI) F - SENIOR
        1990: Kip Miller, Michigan State (E. Lansing, MI) F - SENIOR
        1991: David Emma, Boston College (Cranston, RI) F - SENIOR
        1992: Scott Pellerin, Maine (Shediac, NB) F - SENIOR

I think those classes listed are correct - there's some confusion over
both Broten and Hrkac since they both took a year off from school to
play for their national teams (Broten - US in '80-81 and Hrkac - CAN in
'85-86).

Anyway, I think this should keep the discussion rolling.  I would make
the point that there is at least some consideration to goalies and
defensemen in the award - unlike those of some other sports which seem
to go only to offensive leaders.  Also, note that four of the 12 winners
are Canadians.

Well, that's it for now...I'm still trying to decide whether I think
Kariya should be considered...but I'm working on it.

Best wishes - enjoy your break (if you have one), Charlie