Date:
Mon, 23 Nov 1992 12:40:21 EST
Hiya gang.  Yesterday, I saw my first college hockey game of the season:
the University of Pittsburgh Panthers (2-5) of the Western Pennsylvania
Collegiate Hockey Association versus those ACHA independents, the Duquesne
University Dukes (8-1).

The game was at the Pittsburgh Civic Arena, where the Penguins play.  The
aisles were filled with garbage left over from the previous night's Pens
game, the Zamboni (sorry, that's "ice resurfacer") didn't make an appearance
until after the second period, and the scoreboard wasn't being properly
operated until well into the first period.  About 125 people attended.

I left about 3/4 through the third period, with Duquesne up, 7-3.  It was
pretty even until late in the second, when the Dukes finally got warmed up
and their superior skating began to manifest itself.

I don't mean to be an elitist - I'm actually very thankful that there are
*three* college hockey teams in Pittsburgh - Pitt, Duquesne, and Carnegie-
Mellon.  But the level of play is *so* much lower.  Having Golden Gopher
season tix in Minneapolis has spoiled me for life.  I mean, *that's* college
hockey at its finest, at least over the long term.

It wasn't really the worst game ever.  It was pretty exciting as it's an
old rivalry; I just wanted a shocking subject line so you'd read this.  :-)

Apparently, Duquesne actually beat a Div. I team this year, Kent State,
according to a Duquesne player I spoke to.

Pitt, well, they were hapless.  Some players didn't have a team jersey,
mismatched helmets and breezers all over the place.  And the level of play -
ugh.  No defense to speak of.  Never set up their scoring opps.

One thing of note:  almost all the players on both teams, with a few
exceptions, were Pennsylvanians.  So at least hockey is growing in PA on
the high school level.

Bye for now,
-Martin