From:
Keith Instone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Keith Instone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Nov 1992 09:59:20 EST
Because of a house full of in-laws, I am a bit behind on my
hockey-l "duties"--the Saturday BG-OSU box and a partial CCHA
release will be coming tonight.

But I am glad to say that the Falcons gave my in-laws quite
a treat Saturday night, as the Buckeyes were demolished 11-2.
It was like 60 minutes of BG power play. OSU's Slazyk was not
too impressive in net (9 goals against in 2 periods), but he
certainly was not to blame. BG's first two shots on net came
on back-to-back 1-0 breakaways, so the fans had a feeling it
could be a blowout. Those of us who were dwelling on the recent
collapses in the third period were not satisfied until the
Falcons hit double digits--and it seems as tho the players were
not either.

Brian Holzinger had 2 goals, as did freshman D Chad Ackerman,
his first 2 of his college career. Chad was seeing his first
action on the power play and connected on two slaphots. Seven
others netted 1 apeice, I think.

The big news from Friday's game is the injury to Senior Brett Harkins.
He went down 10 seconds into the 2nd period. Apparently, he caught
a rut in the ice (there are plenty at the OSU Barn) and twisted
his knee. The report is that Brett *may* never play another game
for BG--the injury could be that bad. If Brett cannot return, it will
put even more pressure on the freshmen to contribute. They did alright
without Brett Saturday, but down the line his play-making and special
teams play will certainly be missed for however long he is out.

The Falcons have a slumber party in Detroit Tuesday and fly to Alaska
on Wednesday morn. They face Fairbanks on Thursday, Maine on Friday
and Yale on Saturday. Quite a set of opponents there, as all three
have turned in excellent seasons so far. The Falcons' play at this
tournament may set the stage for the rest of the season......

Keith