From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Nov 1992 08:13:16 EST
Mike relates some of an interview with HE asst-commish Noni Daly ...
>     ...  That pair will work together all year long.  In most of the
>cases, she said, the referees have worked out between themselves who will
>have the chief responsibilities, if you will, so that we will not see an
>epidemic of referees contradicting each other.  ...

   The first part I understand (working together);  the "chief" part I
   don't: it looks like another area for referee *abuse* of the rules
   (as with calling the end of a close game differently).  Jeez, I'd
   better lighten up and get in the holiday swing of things :-)

>                                           ...  She also said that besides
>allowing the officials to see more of the ice (each will take a zone), the
>need for a referee to go from goal line to goal line is not there
>anymore.  A referee will usually go from the goal line in his zone to the
>opposite blue line, approximately, from what I have seen.  The chance of a
>quick play resulting in a goal that the referee was out of position to see
>is reduced.

   If one likes experienced refs on the ice, the 2-ref system is a great
   innovation because it allows a good ref to continue, even when his
   (are there any Division I, or NCAA for that matter, *women*
   referees?) skating abilities diminish.  This new rule/procedure has,
   IMO, re-made McBride into a good ref and (I understand) brought Ned
   Bunyan out of retirement.

Gobble gobble,
wayne

Wayne Smith
The College Hockey Discussion List administrator
Systems Group - CAPS              BITNET/CREN:  wts@maine
University of Maine System        internet:     [log in to unmask]