From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Nov 1992 01:45:21 EST
"[log in to unmask]" writes:
>ALL IN ALL IT WAS A PRETTY DESCENT HOCKEY GAME.  NOTRE DAME IS A HELL OF A
>LOT BETTER HOCKEY CLUB THAN THEIR RECORD SHOWS.

I agree...despite their 1-9-1 record (1-8-1 CCHA), the Irish have played 7
games in which they have either tied or lost by one or two goals (4 1-goal
losses).  This is a good sign, that they are in every game.  The next step
is to get over the hump where you are winning those close games.  I've only
watched some of the game on tape, and I liked what I saw.  (it was on delay
on SportsChannel here in New England.)

>THE POOR SPOT IN THE GAME
>WAS, AS IT USUALLY IS THE REFEREES.  ON CHRIS BROOKS SECOND GOAL
>(SHORTHANDED) THE REFEREE WAS STANDING 20 FT OF THE BOARDS AND GOT TANGLED
>WITH A NOTRE DAME DEFENSEMAN CUASING HIM TO LOSE THE PUCK, CHRIS BROOKS
>PICKED UP THE PUCK AND BURIED IT HIGH GLOVE.  I REALIZE THIS CAN HAPPEN BUT
>THE WORST OF THE STORY STILL REMAINS.  THIS HAPPEND AT THE 14:35 MARK IN THE
>SECOND  PERIOD.
>MY POINT IS THE REFEREE WHO GOT IN THE
>WAY WAS THE SAME GUY I TALKED ABOUT LAST NIGHT ABOUT DOING NOTHING BUT GET IN
>THE WAY.  BRING BACK THE SECOND LINESMAN CAN THE SECOND REF.  IN CASE YOU
>WANT TO CHECK OUT MY OPINION IT WAS ON PASS.

Well, I don't think it was the two-referee system that caused this to
happen, he was just caught in a bad place at the time.  But replaying the
action, the ND defenseman looked like he had time to be aware of where the
referee was, he was looking across the ice instead for the pass.  He
started deep in his zone on the breakout and the collision with the referee
did not take place until near the top of the circle.

Nonni Daly, Hockey East asst. commish, was my guest in between periods of
the second Northeastern-Merrimack game, and I asked her about the two-
referee system and how they planned to avoid the problems that occurred the
last time it was tried about a decade ago.  She said that in HE at least,
referee pairs were set ahead of time and include at least one veteran
referee.  That pair will work together all year long.  In most of the
cases, she said, the referees have worked out between themselves who will
have the chief responsibilities, if you will, so that we will not see an
epidemic of referees contradicting each other.  She also said that besides
allowing the officials to see more of the ice (each will take a zone), the
need for a referee to go from goal line to goal line is not there
anymore.  A referee will usually go from the goal line in his zone to the
opposite blue line, approximately, from what I have seen.  The chance of a
quick play resulting in a goal that the referee was out of position to see
is reduced.

I noted to her that if you consider a good way to evaluate officials is
whether or not you notice them during a game, then since I haven't noticed
them thus far, they're doing a good job.  There was one play in the Friday
Merr-NU game that pointed out the usefulness of the system: the referee
deep in the zone blew the play dead for a hand pass which was actually made
by the defense.  This was clear to those of us watching from up above and
to the other referee at the blue line across the ice.  The referee at the
blue line had a brief discussion with the other one and since there was a
mistake, the faceoff took place at center ice.  Of course, I suppose this
could have happened as well if it were just a linesman who pointed out the
error.

I can't speak for the other conferences, but I think the two-referee system
has worked out well so far in Hockey East.  It will be most useful when
penalties take place behind the play or things happen that one referee is
out of position to see, but there haven't been that many situations of this
type so far - and when they have occurred, they've been covered well.

> IN CASE YOU ARE WONDERING CHRIS BROOKS, A BRONCO FRESHMAN IS DEFINATELY A
>GOOD HOCKEY PLAYER.
>
>                                         RICH PEACH

I agree...we were very impressed by him when we were out in Kalamazoo.  He
seems to thrive on the special situations which is nice to see from a
freshman.

I think the question all of us have, Coach Schafer, is: did you
intentionally pick out that tie knowing it was a tv game?
---
Mike Machnik    [log in to unmask]   Color Voice of the Merrimack Warriors
(Any opinions expressed above are strictly those of the poster.)    *HMN*