From:
The Hockey Hamlet <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Hockey Hamlet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Nov 1992 22:51:02 EST
        1       2       3
Harv    2       2       1--5
Yale    3       0       2--5

First period
        Scoring
1) 1 Harvard Farrell (Body, Cohagan) 8:18.
2) 2 Harvard Gustafson (Baird, Konik) 11:33. PPG
3) 1 Yale Allen (Leroux, Duffy) 15:48. PPG
4) 2 Yale Lavish (Maltby, Kaufmann) 17:49.
5) 3 Yale Duffy (Kaufmann, Leroux) 19:52. PPG
        Penalities
3:46 Harvard Nielsen (slashing); 9:37 Yale Cochran (cross-checking); 14:19
Harvard Flomenhoft (roughing); 18:34 Harvard Drury (delay of game)

Second period
        Scoring
6) 3 Harvard Gustafson (Baird, Lonsinger) 4:35. 5-3 PPG
7) 4 Harvard Coughlin (Konik, Cohagan) 9:19.
        Penalities
1:27 Yale Weidenbach (interference); 3:48 Yale Duffy (hitting from behind);
4:19 Yale Weidenbach (slashing); 11:29 Yale Duffy (hooking); 13:49 Yale
Nyberg (holding); 14:10 Harvard [finally] Flomenhoft (holding); 17:59 Yale
Cochran (cross-checking); 20:00 Harvard Gustafson (4 minutes--roughing),
Yale Cipolla (roughing)

Third period
        Scoring
8) 4 Yale Kaufmann (Lavish, Leroux) 1:42. PPG
9) 5 Yale Emmons (Cipolla) 8:55.
10) 5 Harvard Mallgrave (unassisted) 9:42.
        Penalities
11:18 Harvard Marett (hooking)

OT--No scoring or penalities

Power plays
Yale    3/6
Harv    2/7

Final shots
Yale    37
Harv    32

        You must excuse me, I'm still a little bit hot. This was a game
that Yale could have won, much like last year's  5-5 tie at the Whale.
Last year, Coach Taylor started the junior, John Hockin, over the freshman,
Todd Sullivan. This year, Taylor started the senior Hockin over the
sophomore Sullivan. Sullivan has played very fine goal all season; Hockin
has been hurt and just began to practice this week. Among the people in the
know before the game, there was much hanging of heads. I don't mind getting
beat when we play our players, but when our best goalie sits on the bench
on the basis of "senority," you wonder whether this team will ever go
anywhere.

        Between Hockin and the defense, we were lucky to tie this game. It
was a frustrating game to watch on several counts. We outplayed the
Crimson, and found ourselves down 2-0 on two soft goals. (The seconsd goal
was a team effort. Two Yale players headed behind the net to hit the man
while keeping the puck in the crease. We had been doing a fine job of
killing he penalty till that point. By rights, Gustafson should have buried
it somewhere, but instead he got off a weak shot 5-hole that should have
found Hockin's stick instead of the back of the net.) The final four
minutes were all Yale, however, as the pressure we put on Aaron Israel (who
played very well all night) began to pay off. At 18:34 with the score tied
the referees began to mar what had been a pretty well officiated game.

        After letting heavy hitting go on both sides, they called Drury for
playing footsie with the face-off circle. He definately broke the rules. As
a ref, you can eithert do one of two things: let it go or call it. They
decided to call it, but felt pangs of remorse when Yale scored with eight
seconds left in the period.

        And so, Yale found themselves whistled three times in the first
five minutes of the second, resulting in a 5-3 goal. Harvard ended up
getting six of their seven power plays in the period, effectively taking
Yale out of any offensive flow. The refs, however, again felt guilty, and
manufactured a power play for Yale at the end of the period.

        Yale made good on their chance at 1:42 to tie the game. Dave Emmons
put Yale on top 5-4 with a slapper from twenty feet out at 8:55, and that
should have been the game winner. But Hockin let in another soft one at
9:42. The defense let the puck get away from them, but Hockin was clearly
not ready for the shot. Down the stretch and in OT, Israel stoned the
Bulldogs. At least the refs had the sense to put away the whistles in the
third.

        It was another disappointing tie for Yale against Harvard. I can
only hope that Taylor doesn't have the urge to put his backup goalie into
any other key games this year.
--
If I could do one thing                                     Rob Callum
I would try to write and sing              [log in to unmask]