From:
"Brian Cavanaugh @ Koessler Athletics" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian Cavanaugh @ Koessler Athletics
Date:
Fri, 20 Nov 1992 15:28:00 EDT
I want to thank all of you for your thoughts since my posting
yesterday - I'm sorry about the upper case and thanks for
"educating" me on my error.  I've been coaching college hockey
for 15 years but I'm a novice on the computer - from now on
I will only yell at my players - ....and the refs.

Mr. Lerch <<<<  wrote me about future WEST/SUNY scheduling.
What's in the works for next season for the first time in
history - a combined WEST/SUNY master schedule.  WEST
would play each other twice - ("home n' home") and then
would play each SUNY once - at either home or away.
This is being worked on by two A.D.s - Lou Spiotti
at RIT and John Spring - Geneseo.  We are all hoping
that it gets worked out - it could be the structure
that has been long needed out here WEST of Syracuse
but East of Detroit.

<<<<Mr. Machnik - I am also locked on to hockey3
but I need to get help on how to send on it -
again, excuse my novice skills.

<<<< You asked about SUNY automatic bid to NC$$ III
championship  and  the importance for SUNY schools
in playing a "pure SUNY game" vs interconference
game.

Well - this is one coaches opinion:
The automatic bid is a result of many factors -
but probably the most important is there power
and influence nationally across ALL SPORTS -
not just hockey.  SUNY has attained tremendous
influence in basketball, soccer, swimming,etc.
Using this influence (and YES) the fact that they
all are NC$$ III schools that seem to follow
the same rules - they obtained the automatic
before any MASS. or MINN. schools could lobby
hard against it.  Once they had their foot in the
door - they worked very hard to stay there.

They also do a great job of weekly updates
and standings, player of the week, etc.
There's no question in my mind that a SUNY vs SUNY
game holds much more meaning vs interconference.
There are some exceptions - the rivalry's -
Plattsburgh vs Elmira is one that sticks out.
RIT vs Oswego is another - those of us that
have been around remember the "orange" vs
"limes" throwing games between those two.

Some of these contests played at very nice rinks
are played at a pretty high level and draw some
2000 or more fans to watch - depends on the
hype at the time.

One final note - this weekend Geneseo at Plattsburgh
This is a classic - SUNY battle - theres a lot of
fan love for Coach Duffy (Geneseo) in Plattsburgh -
NOT !!!   Thanks again -  See Ya.

Brian Cavanaugh
Canisius College

P.S.  Oh Yea - We play Bona - that's a "LITTLE 3"
rival - our two schools have been competing against
each other in all sports for over 150 years -
The Little 3 (Canisius, St. Bonaventure, Niagara)
were the biggest sport event in Buffalo in the
40's, 50's and 60's !!!