From:
Kenny Zalewski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 16 Nov 1992 18:06:32 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] writes:
>Yes, this is  unfortunate, but the goalies have gotten lazy and had it easy
>in the one referee system.  Remember the Tw0-referee NO linesman system where
>neither official had armbands and there was no difference in a delayed offsides
>delayed High-Stick or a penalty.  Goalies really had to be a mind reader in
>those days.  I believe the two-man system used in youth and High School ages
>may NOW have differing signals for those calls but I don't recall I am sure
>that kenny would know.

For the two-man system:

Delayed offsides is non-whistle arm up.
High-sticked puck is a quick high-sticking signal, then either a wash-out
or a whistle followed by another high-sticking signal.
Delayed penalty (USA Hockey) is non-whistle arm up.
Delayed penalty (NIHOA) is non-whistle arm up for a second, then pointing
straight out towards offending player.

For the two-ref one-linesman system:

Regarding the comment about a goalie misinterpreting an officials' signal
and leaving the net for a substitute...  any goal scored in that instance
would definitely be counted.  I have already seen two ECAC games using the
new 2-1 system, and in both games, there were at least 5 times when a
referee forget to put his whistle arm straight out when signalling a
delayed offside.  If a goalie misinterpreted this as a penalty call, even
though the wrong signal was given by the official, a goal would still
count, no questions asked.  Of course, I am sure that all signals will
be cleaned up as the season goes on.  It's just new to all the ECAC guys,
and they had no practice games, nor any literature given to them, about
the new system.  As John Gallagher told me when he was at RPI about a week
ago, "None of us really know what we're doing out there, but as long as
we _look_ like we do, then that's OK."  The NCAA is to blame for not
spending enough time to train the officials into the new system.  But like
I said, give them time to iron it out, and I think you'll see that this
system is a superior one.                       -- kennyz

--
Kenny Zalewski -- Computer Science Department; Intramural Department
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 83 Albright Court, Troy, NY, 12180