Date:
Mon, 2 Nov 1992 08:24:42 EST
The Michigan Wolverines suffered a lackluster weekend, and were completely
spooked by the Western Michigan University Broncos.  The teams tied 2-2 at
WMU on Friday, folled by an 8-4 Western victory in Ann Arbor on Saturday.
Michigan falls to 3-1-1 (2-1-1 in CCHA), Western moves to 2-1-1 (1-0-1).
Partial summaries follow:

FRIDAY NIGHT
Michigan        1  0  1  0 -- 2        14   9   9   x -- 32+
Western Mich    0  1  1  0 -- 2         5   8   4   x -- 17+

 0:00 UM Bench (delay of game)
11:28 UM Roberts (Wiseman,Oliver) PPG 1-0
13:59 UM Ward (hooking)
16:07 UM Ward (charging)
27:18 WMU Chartier (D'Arcy) PPG 1-1
43:22 WMU J Brown (D'Arcy,Bonnett) 2-1
43:31 UM Ouimet (unassisted) GTG 2-2
65:00 UM Tamer (game misconduct)

Goaltenders: UM Shields WMU C Brown

Comments: Michigan controlled the play, but didn't create any real scoring
chances for themselves.  The word I received for the opening penalty (0:00)
was that Michigan left the blueline prior to the end of the national anthem.
I had never heard of this, and still find it hard to believe.  I added the
Ward penalties to the box because I was completely disgusted.  Senior
defenseman Patrick Neaton was away for the weekend attending his
grandmother's funeral, and we needed the rest of the defense to play well.
It took Ward about :03 to leave the box and commit a STUPID penalty.
Michigan gained control of the puck after :05, thus the box shows :08
between the penalties.  DUMB, DUMB, DUMB!  After Western took the lead,
Mark Ouimet answered immediately and it looked like it could spark the
Wolverines to victory.  However, it didn't, as WMU was content to play for
the tie in their own building.

SATURDAY NIGHT
Western Mich    3  3  2 -- 8         6  13  10 -- 29
Michigan        1  2  1 -- 4        14   6  13 -- 33

 1:03 WMU D'Arcy (J Brown,Bonnett) 1-0
 3:38 WMU Ward (Brooks) 2-0
15:33 WMU Jennings (Witkowski,Mayers) 3-0
19:12 UM Sittler (Oliver,Wiseman) 1-3
20:00 UM Ward (roughing) repeat DUMB, DUMB, DUMB!
20:00 UM Gordon replaces Shields in goal
21:11 WMU Ward (Brooks,D'Arcy) PPG 4-1
23:43 UM Knuble (Roberts) 2-4
30:22 UM Wiseman (Sakala) 3-4
30:40 WMU D'Arcy (unassisted) GWG 5-3
33:53 WMU Ward (Ferschweiler,Brooks) 6-3 hat trick
34:24 UM Shields replaced Gordon in goal
43:32 UM Wiseman (Sittler,?) PPG 4-6
58:34 WMU Brekke (Bonnett,Chartier) ENG 7-4
59:55 WMU Carriere (Holman) 8-4

Goaltenders: WMU Renfrew, UM Shields/Gordon/Shields
Stars: 1-WMU Ward  2-WMU D'Arcy  3-UM Wiseman

D'Arcy's goal at 30:40 broke Michigan's back.  The Wolverines had just
pulled within a goal :18 earlier.  Western completely outplayed Michigan
in every aspect of the game.  The Wolverine defense was now without Chris
Tamer as well as Neaton.  Tamer lost a game thanks to his misconduct at
the end of overtime on Friday.  As the game ended, a Western player was
skating with Tamer and landed three soft jabs, just letting Tamer know
that he was around.  Chris responded with a stick to the face which floored
the Western player.  A penalty indeed, but not a game misconduct.  Of
course, the officials didn't see the punches that started the incident.
Without Tamer and Neaton, Michigan had only two experienced defenseman,
and Aaron Ward needed to put Friday behind him and have a solid game.
Needless to say, he did not.  The majority of the 5457 at Yost left
wondering if we'll see a repeat of last season --- tons of potential but
rarely any results.

Michigan travels to LSSU this weekend for a two game set.  They will have
to play much better if they hope to avoid embarrassment again at the Soo
(last year saw an LSSU sweep, 3-2 and 10-0).

John H
somebody please wake up the Blue